• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need Nudie advice

nastyandy

Reaction score
I'd like to pick up a new pair of raw Nudies, but I've been going back and forth between which style I want for awhile now.

Ultimately, I think I would like something somewhere in between my RRL slim bootcut and ES Fultons. I am leaning towards the Olas, but I would like rigid raw, and from what I understand, Olas are soft.

I am also considering the Svens and Slim Jims, although I suspect the SJs are slimmer than I want. I prefer a mild bootcut, although straight leg is okay if there is no taper. Either way, I don't know how the denim feels on the SSs and SJs.

Do the Olas or SS come in a rigid denim, and which are slimmer in the legs?

Finally, I prefer selvedge, but it's not necessary.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The svens are so awesome, I don't understand why they aren't as popular as the RR around here. Really perfect fit, at least for me. The SS does come in a rigid dry model and selvedge. Rigid at least compared to the ola, which takes at least 5 years of continuous wear to see any fading.

The olas are slimmer in the knees, therefore slightly slimmer in the thighs.

And the svens are a bit wider than the SJ at the leg opening.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
The svens are so awesome, I don't understand why they aren't as popular as the RR around here.

I think a lot of the US Nudie stockists didn't used to carry the Svens. I know all I had access to for a while were the Ralfs and Jims. I agree with you, though--I think the Svens are my favorite Nudie cut.

thisisme

Reaction score
leg opening on svens vs leg opening on jims? rise on jims is 9" right? does it matter if i pickup jims or svens in a 34 length and then hem them? is there any difference in the shape of the jean in the 32 length vs the 34 length or is the 34 length the exact same specifications as 32 length + 2 inches to the hem also, recommended to size 1 down in nudie drys (non selvedge model) to get a fit in jims like this:

nastyandy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
The svens are so awesome, I don't understand why they aren't as popular as the RR around here. Really perfect fit, at least for me. The SS does come in a rigid dry model and selvedge.
Thanks for your help. Do you mean thay the rigid dry model is different than the selvedge model? I have seen 'dry selvedge' models for sale, and I'm wondering if this is the rigid kind.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nastyandy
Thanks for your help.

Do you mean thay the rigid dry model is different than the selvedge model? I have seen 'dry selvedge' models for sale, and I'm wondering if this is the rigid kind.

Oh, they have a "dry" non-selvedge model, and a selvedge model.

I was just using rigid in comparison to the super soft ola denim.

RBales

Reaction score
i have the flame selvedge model of the svens, and I agree, i don't know why they're not more popular. Mine fit amazingly, and the creases/fade are looking so awesome. And they're warm, which for me is a consideration. Highly recommend them.

Calden

Reaction score
I had a pair of svens that someone stole from my house at a party. I thought I should try out another label or maybe model of nudies, but ended up ordering another pair of SSDS. I love them.

amdi8

Reaction score
How are the Nudies in terms of stretch? If I normally take a 30" waist, do I have to go down to a 28 or 29?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amdi8
How are the Nudies in terms of stretch? If I normally take a 30" waist, do I have to go down to a 28 or 29?

You might want to size down 1, if you want something like RRDS to be a tight fit, but those are meant to be worn fairly loose. I wouldn't size down in most of the other ones, especially bootcut OLA.

Calden

Reaction score
I sized down 1 inch on my new pair of SSDS, the last pair I had bought at my normal size (32) and they stretched about one inch. Since I don't plan on washing these for a long time I decided to size down, and when I do wash them they should stretch back out fairly quickly.

ardeetee

Reaction score
I sized down 1 from my true waist for my RRDS (29) and I would stick with my normal size for the SJ (30).

afaludi

Reaction score
i got a pair of olas and a pair of ssds flame. The olas have a much lighter denim 9 oz i belive. they do not take 5 years to get fading only about six months. the flame selvage is unique if your going for that look and the SS cut is great. Why not go for some PBJs or Canes instead?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I've been wearing my dry olas, almost everyday, for about 2.5 months now and they are just finally starting to show some wear. Unfortunately, they are also starting to smell.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was being sarcastic about it taking 5 years to break in the olas....it does feel like it though, they are a pain in the ass.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 280 33.2%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40