• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need new watch ideas....

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a new dress watch but want to keep it under $2K.

Any ideas as to what would be elegant, reliable, and reasonably hold its value?

What retailers, online or brick, would be worth frequenting?

Thanks for the advice. I'm not much of an expert in watches but I know we have some here.
smile.gif

lockey2k

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
I repeat myself:

Vintage, vintage, vintage.
bigstar[1].gif

where does one find good vintage watches at affordable prices (in NYC)? Is there a blue book for watches?
tongue.gif

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one I've been considering. I would have suggested it in the other current watch thread, but the OP indicated that a metal bracelet was important, and I'm not sure that B&M provide one for this watch (they might; I just don't know).

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1916_67919141

For me a dress watch means one with a leather strap. In addition, it must have a diameter smaller than about 36 mm. (excluding crown). It should have a plain, narrow bezel (without, of course, numbers such as those found on diving watches, or any other quasi-functional characters), and elegant lugs--not the large mass found on some watches at the lug ends. It should have very few complications; I'd draw the line at (a) a second hand and (b) a date window--i.e., I'd allow those, but nothing beyond. Many think that a white (or light silver or champagne gold) dial is preferable for a dress watch, but I'd probably consider black too, although not a darker, colored dial. For me, the decision between quartz and automatic has no bearing on a watch's suitability for dress use--they both look the same, after all. My own preference is quartz because of the vastly superior accuracy, but watch purists go into the shakes at the idea of quartz.

The B&M Classima above is available in a number of versions, and some are smaller than the 36 mm. diameter noted above. They are available in quartz and automatic versions, and can be had for good prices on eBay or online suppliers like Joma, from whom the above link was taken, Overstock.com, and many others. You should be able to pick up a quartz Classima, in either silver color or gold, for under $1000 and an automatic to your liking for less than $1500, perhaps much less.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Roger,

That's a beautiful watch...Hopefully it can be found in a sterling or white gold color as well. I'm big on silver jewelry.
smile.gif

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lockey2k
where does one find good vintage watches at affordable prices (in NYC)? Is there a blue book for watches?
tongue.gif

Check Tourneau; they have the widest selection of new and pre-owned watches, in a range of prices. I'm sure you can find something approximating what you're looking for, or even a suitable/preferable alternative.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would avoid Tourneau. The service and price suck.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen vintage watches at several Polo RL locations. Expect a RL mark-up though.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
31.gif

? (does this mean something? if so, what? and is it helpful to Artisan Fan?)

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Any ideas as to what would be elegant, reliable, and reasonably hold its value?

I recommend a pocket watch.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
I would avoid Tourneau. The service and price suck.

Then how about offering an alternative? (Isn't that the purpose of responding, i.e., to help?)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
? (does this mean something? if so, what? and is it helpful to Artisan Fan?)

Sorry if you do not understand the meaning of the barfie, I find it pretty clear though... Whatever it means, it is certainly far more helpful than advising him to go to Tourneau. Which is the equivalent of advising a poster asking where he can buy a nice suit to go to his closest Wal-Mart... or Men's Wearhouse...

Hanseat

Reaction score
Do a search on the Nomos Tangente here and on AAAC...

I have one and love it dearly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads