• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need new shoe suggestions (for new job!)

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Hey all -- I've searched and searched but its just hard to narrow down some suggestions. I am starting a new job in the next week or so and it is time for me to invest in some nicer shoes. While I am not 100% sure yet, I believe the job will call for a pretty even split of business and business casual attire. With that in mind, I'd like to get a nice pair of shoes that will work well with both. My first instinct is that I'd like to start with a nice black pair.

The price range I'm thinking is around the $200 mark. I'd really like a nice quality and nice looking shoe that if I treat correctly will last me a long time.

If the prices and quality are right, I might even splurge for a brown pair now as well. Just to be clear, I currently have a few pairs of shoes that work for business and business casual, and a few others that work well for just business casual.

Looking forward to your suggestions -- and thanks in advance!!

iamjammin

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds park avenues are nice. The total basic essence of a man's black dress shoe.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamjammin
Allen Edmonds park avenues are nice. The total basic essence of a man's black dress shoe.

This is a good suggestion. If you go and buy a Johnston & Murphy Melton, don't post it on here or risk suffering the wrath of people who spent a lot more than you.

Maybe a brogue (wingtip) would be more versatile, since it works both business casual and business.

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iamjammin
Allen Edmonds park avenues are nice. The total basic essence of a black man's dress shoe.

ffffuuuu.gif

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
lols @ ^

OP, think about it this way. If you started a new job, prolly means you're in your roaring 20's. Just save some of your discretionary funds every week and buy something you'd like to add to your wardrobe every month. So for Jan of this year, save up some dough and buy some nice black dress shoes you like that is above the $200 price range. I mean, you're probably going to want to wear it for a long time, so why not get something nice so you look your best when you're wearing them? I think a $300-500 shoe is justifiable when you expense it over the course of 3-5 years (more if you take good care of them)

LendMeYourEars

Reaction score
The suggestion of Allen Edmonds' Park Avenue in black is, in my opinion, excellent. AE consistently meets the mark of good taste and modest discretion - I have owned many a set. However, if $200 is indeed your maximum you will have to look to the web for the shoe. Ebay is the logical 'market-place,' and will offer many an option. Pay particularly close attention to the shoe width. AAA (very narrow) through EEE (very wide). I find a 'D' (medium) works best for me. Of course, to be sure, you can be professionally measured at any fine men's store or Allen Edmonds location. Given your professional needs, other brands to watch for on Ebay are: Ferragamo, Church's, Barker Black, Brooks Brothers (Peal & Co.), Johnston & Murphy, and Cole Haan. Do not be swayed by a 'badge.' Gucci, Prada, etc all make excellent shoes, however, it is the manufacturers that specialize in shoe making that are the best bet. Until you have acquired a good rotation of up-to-code and unobjectionable work worthy footwear I do not recommend you explore the 'designer' offerings. Think of your professional shoon collection like you would luggage. What you carry/pack should be made by a manufacturer of suitcases. Think T. Anthony. Do you think the current Burberry spends any time personally designing and structuring the luggage line that bears its logo? What you wear should be a shoe made by shoemaker. Enjoy.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the exception of Cole Haan, Johnston Murphy and Boss, the above is very solid advice.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Thanks for the Replies, everyone -- and my apologies for the delay in responding.

I completely understand what you are all saying about the price range. Honestly, I said $200 thinking that was a suitable range (my knowledge of footwear is very limited). I would be willing, and able, at the moment to pay more for the ideal pair of shoes. Like mentioned, I can justify spending it now knowing that they should last me quite some time with the proper care.

So, that said, and with the price range now increased to let's say $350ish, I'd love to hear some more suggestions.

What do we think of these: (AE Fifth Avenue)

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

Also: what are certain details I should be looking for when shopping around, assuming I look beyond Allen Edmonds?

Thanks Again!!

MCH-est.1818

Reaction score
The 5th Ave is a sharp looking dress shoe. I own several pair of AEs and highly recommend them. You can't go wrong with AEs.

I would also recommend Brooks Brothers' Peal & Co.--they're currently on sale (25% off), which puts them pretty close to the $350 mark.

Another brand you may want to look at is Charles Tyrwhitt. I bought a pair of shoes from them not too long ago and have to say I really like them--they are reasonably priced when on sale and are really nice fitting shoes (but they do run a little big).

On what to look for I would suggest: 1) quality of the leather--making sure it feels like leather and not plastic. 2) a leather sole, 3) a goodyear welt sole - so the sole can be repaiered/recrafted so the shoes will last longer AND 4) making sure the shoe fits properly and is relatively comfortable.

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I think I am going to make my way into an AE store in Manhattan this week or weekend. I really like the 5th Avenue a lot!

Thanks again everyone for all the information!!

Jaggs

Reaction score
I'm not sure if these are of the standard you are looking for, however I have both black and brown that I bought last summer for $149 after seeing them in a 'best under $200' article...they have black on sale for $99 in a few sizes.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2985214?...resultback=312

GBer

Reaction score
If you look hard enough, you can find C&J (<$350) and perhaps a JL or EG (~$350-500). There should be a C&J Winter sale coming up. Sorry, but AEs are not on my list.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
If you look hard enough, you can find C&J (<$350) and perhaps a JL or EG (~$350-500). There should be a C&J Winter sale coming up. Sorry, but AEs are not on my list.

for $350 check C&J on pediwear.com well worth the invesment

CJG_NYC

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone.

So, I think I am going to shop around a bit on Saturday. That said, if you had 300-350ish to spend, and you were in Manhattan, where would you go? I was thinking of going to AEs Madison Avenue shop to start and go from there.

That said -- the inclement weather here in the city has made me realize I need a decent dress boot that can be worn with a suit for sloppy wet snow days. I have seen some high end ones, like AEs Malvern, etc., but, for now I need a dress boot that is functional and wearable with a suit for a good price. Knowing the winter has just begun, I'd hate to wear my new higher end shoes on snowy days, so I'd really like to get a reasonably priced dress boot for those occasions. Any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads