• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need new mountain / cross trail bike, any recommendations?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any way you can get a decent full-suspension mountain bike for $600. A few years ago, I bought a Gary Fisher Tassajara hardtail for around $550, and am very happy with it. (Disclaimer: I am a mountain biking newbie who has not ridden in quite awhile.) The Gary Fisher website indicates that MSRP has creeped north since then, but you might be able to get a good deal toward the end of the year when the stores start clearing out 2006 models.

The best thing to do is to find a good shop and road test several models.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to be a die-hard mountain bike enthusiast when I lived in Canada / first moved down to Florida, but since we have no mountains, or hills for that matter, I stopped caring about bikes and focused more on cars. Now that I am back in the market for a bike, I see that a lot has changed (they now have G-Boxx fully encased transmissions!), and the bikes that used to be cutting edge way back when, like the Trek Y-framed models, are now considered the lower ring of the ladder.

FYI: Gary Fisher is owned by Trek.

Jon.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought 2 used and 1 new road bikes on ebay a acouple of years ago. In your price range I would look at Giants, maybe second-hand (second-foot
smile.gif
) on ebay from a reputable seller. Full suspension would be tough for $600 brand new. You would probably want disk brakes too.

There is advantage in buying cheap now. When you want to upgrade your components you won't feel bad about throwing away the ones you have on now.

Dimitry

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I'd take the Trek. I had a Trek 8000 SL before and liked it. Very light stuff. The Cannondale uses many proprietary components, so it will be a pain ********** when you decide to upgrade. Both get good reviews on mtbr.com, but make sure you try out the F400 as the Cannondale symmetry isn't for everyone.

I did like riding the Trek more...

Jon.

ATM

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I did like riding the Trek more...

Jon.

That's important. If the bike can't be adjustment to match your body, you'll only hurt yourself.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ATM
That's important. If the bike can't be adjustment to match your body, you'll only hurt yourself.

That's true, although it was more the seat (easily replaceable) and the slightly heavier weight of the Cdale that threw me off...but both are truly negligible. Even though the Trek has a shittier fork, it has a lot better breaks and the fork is replaceable, if I ever decide to change it / break it, and the fork can be replaced with that of any brand. With the Cdale however, you are left either with their proprietary forks, or left spending more money for an adapter.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads