• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need new casual (designer) slacks

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for nicer slacks - something to wear out on dates and such - nothing too dressy. However, I've been unlucky with finding something that looks and fits decent.

As far as the fit, I would like something that is flat front, slim-cut and fits over a substantial part of my shoe. Not a full-on bootcut, but I'd like the bottom of the pants to cover about half my shoe.

The slacks I have found (and currently own) seem rather narrow at the bottom. Almost as if they taper in a bit. I wear an 11.5 shoe, so most of those slacks make my feet look bigger than they are.

I have a pair of Kenneth Cole NY pants that fits perfectly - it's exactly what I'm looking for - slim fitting, and flares nicely a bit at the bottom. Unfortunately, the quality is low. I'd like something nicer.

I doubt that Zanella, Incotex, etc. will fit the bill - I'd probably have to look for designer brands. Can anyone please suggest some labels to look for?

BTW, I'm a 31x32 or 48-50EU, and I would like colors such as stone, beige, black, gray, and charcoal.

rsp1

Reaction score
Have you checked out Helmut Lang or Jil Sander? Their styles probably fit what you're looking for exactly - simple, slim, flat-front dress slacks.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you checked out Helmut Lang or Jil Sander?  Their styles probably fit what you're looking for exactly - simple, slim, flat-front dress slacks.
Thanks for the reply. I like the collections from both of these designers - clean, simple, and classic. Do you know if the slacks would be narrow throughout, or would they flare a bit at the bottom?

rsp1

Reaction score

MikeF

Reaction score
The quality isn't brilliant, but Hugo Boss has one model of slacks - very common in my region - that fit exactly like you describe. Some Armani Collezioni flat-fronts fit similarly.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. I really like the pants by Jil Sander, as well as the YSL slacks. Both are very elegant.

Some of the Hugo Boss slacks on ebay are nice as well, especially for the price. More in my range than, say, those Helmut Langs for $250 on Bluefly. Hopefully there will be some left when the markdowns start.

aybojs

Reaction score
Don't rule out Incotex. I bought a pair of black wool slacks that's pretty fashion forward: slim cut, flat front, five pocket cut (actually a negative since I hate five pocket pants). I'd wear them a lot if the tailor I took them to hadn't made them unwearable by hemming them an inch and a half too short

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't rule out Incotex. Â I bought a pair of black wool slacks that's pretty fashion forward: slim cut, flat front, five pocket cut (actually a negative since I hate five pocket pants). Â I'd wear them a lot if the tailor I took them to hadn't made them unwearable by hemming them an inch and a half too short
Wow, I had no idea that Incotex made slacks in this style. I'll give them a look.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how about Armani?

take look at his colleczioni pants collection?
I know people like crease on their dress pants .. but i love these Armani splatzzo (spell?) style pants - no crease, cylinder cut (straight).. creates such a wonderful drape that no other slacks can.. Get noticed by ladies A LOT..

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Oltmann

Reaction score
As a reminder, Yoox pants sizing is your European size minus 10 if it has (USA) by it. If the number has (JNS) by it then is in inches.

rsp1

Reaction score
Could you clarify that please? Using these Costume pants as an example (per LA Guy's suggestion). http://www.yoox.com/us....eaid=36 Yoox shows that a 38 (USA) = 48 (IT). Does this mean that if the "true" label is 48 IT, that converts to a 38 (USA) which = a 38" waist? I have a hard time believing that a label like Costume, which has a 54 IT available, would even manufacture a 44" waisted garment. Thanks.

Oltmann

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

You have to figure out your European size (which you can see on the link in my first post.)

The (USA) size that Yoox lists is completely useless.

A 38(USA) 48(IT) actually has a ~33" waist.

A 44(USA) 54(IT) actually has a ~38" waist.

rsp1

Reaction score
Ahh, that makes sense. Thanks.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.