• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need music for driving (whole albums)

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for stuff to listen to while driving. I usually listen to whole albums front to back rather than mixes, so what I'm looking for is stuff that is consistently good throughout rather than just a couple good songs here and there. Stuff that has come out in the past year or two, basically, and anything from The National to Girl Talk to Of Montreal.

As far as examples, I have a copy of Daft Punk's Alive I listen to a lot, Feist Live at Trabendo, Hissing Fauna, Dark Was the Night, and even a copy of Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull (which is essentially a 45 minute single track), etc. All stuff that flows well for the better part of an hour but not necessarily a particular genre.

All suggestions welcome.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the ultimate driving album is always going to be Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really recent, but Arcade Fire's The Suburbs is good throughout. I'm not sure if it is your thing but you should give Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros a try too.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Clash's "London Calling" is one album I've listened to constantly since its release. One of the finest albums, ever. Two others that are always on my playlist are The Chameleon's "Strange Times" and "What Does Anything Mean? Basically". REM's "Murmur", "Reckoning" and "Fables of the Reconstruction" deserve frequent listens. Wire's "Pink Flag", "Chairs Missing" and XTC's "Black Sea", "English Settlement" and "Skylarking". Camper van Beethovens' "II & III" and "Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart". More recent albums are Grandaddy's "Sophtware Slump" and "Sumday".

For mainstream pop I'd go with Cars' self-titled first album and "Candy-O" and the Police's first three albums.

To get your blood pumping Fishbone's "Truth and Soul". And sheer fun go with the B-52's first album.

None of them are recent, so I've failed this task :(

Last edited:

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
If you want to go back 5 years Wolfmother's first album ("Wolfmother," go figure) is a great driving album. Listened to it on my last road trip. They were unbelievable pre-breakup and this album really shows it.

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
I like to throw these Japanese psych albums on in this order:
High Rise - II
Boris - Akuma No Uta
Acid Mothers Temple - Anthem of the Space
The Flower Travellin' Band - Satori
Ghost - Snuffbox Immanence

Other stuff I like to listen to while driving:
Tetsu Inoue - Ambiant Otaku
Black Dice - Beaches and Canyons
Eden Express - Que Amors Que
Studio - West Coast
Suicide - S/T
Moritz von Oswald - Vertical Ascent
all 4 of the Angel'in Heavy Syrup albums
Grateful Dead - Live/Dead and Anthem of the Sun

Last edited:

dwyhajlo

Reaction score

^Thanks but that's all pretty obscure... not sure if I can get behind a lot of that stuff.
I have been youtube-ing stuff in here since yesterday and there are definitely some good suggestions, so, bump!

You should at least try to find that High Rise album. For me, that is the perfect driving album. All three of those dudes just careening all over the place, and it really doesn't stop until the album's over.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Consider some spoken word podcasts as well, they're so much better than any talk radio crap.

Jay Mohr has some entertaining episodes.

Here's a good one to get a sampling - http://traffic.libsyn.com/mohrstories/mohrstories-07.mp3

Same goes with Marc Maron, who has really interesting interviews with comedians

This one with Norm McDonald is good - http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_219_NORM_MACDONALD.mp3

As is the Richard Lewis one - http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_193_RICHARD_LEWIS.mp3

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - "Give It Back" is a fun listen if you enjoy psychedelic modern alt rock. They made their entire catalog free to download, so this is easy to find.

And the unknown masterpiece of rock-punk-pop albums - The Replacements - "Let It Be" .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be_(The_Replacements_album)

Last edited:

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score

For me the ultimate driving album is always going to be Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime.

Tried it, wasn't a big fan. Thanks though.
Not really recent, but Arcade Fire's The Suburbs is good throughout. I'm not sure if it is your thing but you should give Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros a try too.

Both of these are awesome. Thanks. Had been meaning to get into that Arcade Fire release.
First, let me +1 to the Jethro Tull. :slayer:
I can't really think of an album that's come out recently that's been front to back awesome.

The JT album is one of my all time faves. Do you believe in the day?

As for recent front-to-back good stuff... early 2000's had De-Loused in the Comatorium, a few years later there was Hissing Fauna by Of Montreal and Boxer by the National (just downloaded High Violet so we'll see how that is but I suspect a tad mellow). More recently, "Lungs" by Florence and the Machine is consistently very good with some fantastic sprinkled in, the XX's eponymous album was great start to finish. I realize the foregoing makes me sound like a hipster so... I also liked Pendulum's In Silico, the new Justice album is really good though not as good as Cross.

There are a number of albums out there that have a bunch of good tracks. Black Holes and Revelations by Muse was one like that. But it just wasn't coherent when all the tracks were put together. If an album sounds like a "greatest hits" release, something is missing imo. It's like the difference between a novel and a collection of short stories by the same author - when it comes to music, I like novels.
You should at least try to find that High Rise album. For me, that is the perfect driving album. All three of those dudes just careening all over the place, and it really doesn't stop until the album's over.

I'll have a look for it. I just youtube'd some stuff on your list and found it a bit too challenging for something that's basically playing in the background.
Consider some spoken word podcasts as well, they're so much better than any talk radio crap.
Jay Mohr has some entertaining episodes.

Not really looking for podcasts but thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to listen to Frank Sinatra while driving, he has so many albums to choose from..

I also agree that London Calling is a great driving album, I also like to listen to CCR or John Fogerty's Long Road Home.

Just recently I had a long drive and played Phoenix's album Never Been Like That, I also like there album United

If you wanna go experimental Massive Attack has great albums

Otherwise you cannot go wrong with a Beatles or Rolling Stones album (pre-1980s)

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
swervedriver "raise"

the feelies "the good earth"

kyuss "welcome to sky valley/blues for the red sun/and the circus leaves town"

monster magnet "spine of god"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads