1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need music for driving (whole albums)

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by AR_Six, Oct 24, 2011.

1. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Looking for suggestions for stuff to listen to while driving. I usually listen to whole albums front to back rather than mixes, so what I'm looking for is stuff that is consistently good throughout rather than just a couple good songs here and there. Stuff that has come out in the past year or two, basically, and anything from The National to Girl Talk to Of Montreal.

As far as examples, I have a copy of Daft Punk's Alive I listen to a lot, Feist Live at Trabendo, Hissing Fauna, Dark Was the Night, and even a copy of Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull (which is essentially a 45 minute single track), etc. All stuff that flows well for the better part of an hour but not necessarily a particular genre.

All suggestions welcome.

2. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

For me the ultimate driving album is always going to be Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

First, let me +1 to the Jethro Tull. :slayer:

I can't really think of an album that's come out recently that's been front to back awesome.

4. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Not really recent, but Arcade Fire's The Suburbs is good throughout. I'm not sure if it is your thing but you should give Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros a try too.

5. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti
    The Clash's "London Calling" is one album I've listened to constantly since its release. One of the finest albums, ever. Two others that are always on my playlist are The Chameleon's "Strange Times" and "What Does Anything Mean? Basically". REM's "Murmur", "Reckoning" and "Fables of the Reconstruction" deserve frequent listens. Wire's "Pink Flag", "Chairs Missing" and XTC's "Black Sea", "English Settlement" and "Skylarking". Camper van Beethovens' "II & III" and "Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart". More recent albums are Grandaddy's "Sophtware Slump" and "Sumday".

For mainstream pop I'd go with Cars' self-titled first album and "Candy-O" and the Police's first three albums.

To get your blood pumping Fishbone's "Truth and Soul". And sheer fun go with the B-52's first album.

None of them are recent, so I've failed this task :(

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  6. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

You can't not speed to Death or Glory, it's a proven fact.

7. Charley

Charley Senior member

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

If you want to go back 5 years Wolfmother's first album ("Wolfmother," go figure) is a great driving album. Listened to it on my last road trip. They were unbelievable pre-breakup and this album really shows it.

9. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

I like to throw these Japanese psych albums on in this order:
    High Rise - II
    Boris - Akuma No Uta
    Acid Mothers Temple - Anthem of the Space
    The Flower Travellin' Band - Satori
    Ghost - Snuffbox Immanence

Other stuff I like to listen to while driving:
    Tetsu Inoue - Ambiant Otaku
    Black Dice - Beaches and Canyons
    Eden Express - Que Amors Que
    Studio - West Coast
    Suicide - S/T
    Moritz von Oswald - Vertical Ascent
    all 4 of the Angel'in Heavy Syrup albums
    Grateful Dead - Live/Dead and Anthem of the Sun

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  10. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

^Thanks but that's all pretty obscure... not sure if I can get behind a lot of that stuff.

I have been youtube-ing stuff in here since yesterday and there are definitely some good suggestions, so, bump!

11. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

You should at least try to find that High Rise album. For me, that is the perfect driving album. All three of those dudes just careening all over the place, and it really doesn't stop until the album's over.

12. willpower

willpower Senior member

Consider some spoken word podcasts as well, they're so much better than any talk radio crap.

Jay Mohr has some entertaining episodes.

Here's a good one to get a sampling - http://traffic.libsyn.com/mohrstories/mohrstories-07.mp3

Same goes with Marc Maron, who has really interesting interviews with comedians

This one with Norm McDonald is good - http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_219_NORM_MACDONALD.mp3

As is the Richard Lewis one - http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_193_RICHARD_LEWIS.mp3

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - "Give It Back" is a fun listen if you enjoy psychedelic modern alt rock. They made their entire catalog free to download, so this is easy to find.

And the unknown masterpiece of rock-punk-pop albums - The Replacements - "Let It Be" .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_It_Be_(The_Replacements_album)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  13. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

Tried it, wasn't a big fan. Thanks though.
    Both of these are awesome. Thanks. Had been meaning to get into that Arcade Fire release.
    The JT album is one of my all time faves. Do you believe in the day?

As for recent front-to-back good stuff... early 2000's had De-Loused in the Comatorium, a few years later there was Hissing Fauna by Of Montreal and Boxer by the National (just downloaded High Violet so we'll see how that is but I suspect a tad mellow). More recently, "Lungs" by Florence and the Machine is consistently very good with some fantastic sprinkled in, the XX's eponymous album was great start to finish. I realize the foregoing makes me sound like a hipster so... I also liked Pendulum's In Silico, the new Justice album is really good though not as good as Cross.

There are a number of albums out there that have a bunch of good tracks. Black Holes and Revelations by Muse was one like that. But it just wasn't coherent when all the tracks were put together. If an album sounds like a "greatest hits" release, something is missing imo. It's like the difference between a novel and a collection of short stories by the same author - when it comes to music, I like novels.
    I'll have a look for it. I just youtube'd some stuff on your list and found it a bit too challenging for something that's basically playing in the background.
    Not really looking for podcasts but thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  14. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I like to listen to Frank Sinatra while driving, he has so many albums to choose from..

I also agree that London Calling is a great driving album, I also like to listen to CCR or John Fogerty's Long Road Home.

Just recently I had a long drive and played Phoenix's album Never Been Like That, I also like there album United

If you wanna go experimental Massive Attack has great albums

Otherwise you cannot go wrong with a Beatles or Rolling Stones album (pre-1980s)

15. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

swervedriver "raise"

the feelies "the good earth"

kyuss "welcome to sky valley/blues for the red sun/and the circus leaves town"

monster magnet "spine of god"

16. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Not sure how old you are but:

The The - Mindbomb
    Rush-Signals, Moving Pictures
    Queensryche-Operation Mindcrime, Empire
    Morrissey - anything
    The Smiths-Hatful of Hollow
    INXS-Welcome to Wherever You Are, Live

17. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I've like whole albums from Flaming Lips, Muse, and Moby. Chili Pepper's Californication's pretty solid. That's just whatever came to mind this second.

18. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

What Flaming Lips album worked for you? I'm a fan of some of their stuff but it's kind of hit and miss.

19. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Samesies. I just download the songs I like into a mix.

20. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

husker du "new day rising"

the replacements "let it be" or "tim"