• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need luggage advice: briggs and riley

Reaction score
i only have a cabin trolley from rimowa. i need something bigger for check in. thinking of briggs and riley but dunno which piece to get. help on models and colors please. my rimowa is a topaz gold piece so i dunno if black and gold would look horrible. not sure what they have in olive.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B & R is all that I will buy anymore. Lifetime bulletproof guarantee (which I am about to test since a recent mishap involving a "helpful" traveler). Still very few pieces of olive luggage (and fewer B&R) on the baggage carousels so it's quite recognizable in a sea of black or red luggage.
briggs_u524x.jpg
Briggs & Riley Baseline U524X 24 Expandable Upright The expandability is quite handy if you tend to come home with more stuff than you left with and after years of bashing by baggage handlers, we have yet to have the mechanism in any of our several pieces fail. I've stuffed them to the point where the zippers shuld have burst but they always come through secure and tight. * Dimensions: 24 x 10.5 x 18 in. / 61.0 x 26.7 x 45.7 cm * Linear Dimensions: 52.5 in. * Capacity: 4536 cu. in. / 11521.4 cu. cm * Weight: 12.5 lbs. / 5.6 kg. * Fabric: 2520D ballistic nylon outer fabric is abrasion resistant, water repellent, color fast and self healing Soft, durable twill lining is light-colored to easily locate packed items * Zippers: Self-repairing, durable YKKÂ
00ae.png
Racquet Coil™ zippers Ergonomic zipper pulls Lockable main compartment zipper pulls

Reaction score
cool i'll pick up one of those. 3-6 days seems fine. the olive rocks forget how nice it was and indeed a welcome change from black ballistic.

i should mention i mostly shuttle between 2 homes, which is the bulk of my travel, and maybe stay at a hotel over the holidays only once or twice a year.

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been a road warrior for well over 20 years. I've tried all sorts of bags and you just can't beat Briggs and Riley. Quality, cost and guarantee put them in a league of their own. I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of the bags but it is what I now carry around the world

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the Briggs & Riley. Can't beat lifetime warranty

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Briggs & Riley bags are bulletproof. Definitely get the expandable model.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love B&R, but I have no advice about larger cases, I prefer carry on

ferry1950

Reaction score
I recently switched from a B&G bag to a Rimowa 28" bag for longer days on the road.
IMO, the Rimowa is a much better piece of luggage than the B&G and I am curious why you are not getting another Rimowa.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
Are you all saying B&R is better than Tumi?
Tumi is wonderful luggage (so I'm told) but their warranty, although formerly lifetime, had limitations that were not publicized. Now I understand that even the lifetime warranty is gone. In researching this response, it would appear that their quality has taken a hit as well. Tumi Warranty Policy B&R is sold with a warranty where they claim that even if your taxi driver backs over it, they will repair or replace it

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ that's fair, however from a purely visual perspective, if you have both in front of you and you examine them, it appears to me that Tumi is superior. Any other comments to this fact?

My biggest complaint is that Tumi has very limited colour choices and when you land, try finding the black bag that is yours. Otherwise, it is an amazing piece of luggage.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am. I used to worship tumi, now I wouldnt take it for free. their warrentee sucks, I don't like thier design, and their products aren't sturdy.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An emphatic "better" in value. I don't know about design.

Tumi is "better" known as a luxury brand also, for what it's worth.

^ that's fair, however from a purely visual perspective, if you have both in front of you and you examine them, it appears to me that Tumi is superior. Any other comments to this fact?

My biggest complaint is that Tumi has very limited colour choices and when you land, try finding the black bag that is yours. Otherwise, it is an amazing piece of luggage.

Appearance in this case is certainly deceiving.

Tumi quality has objectively gone down. I have an old made in USA carry-on wheeled luggage that's still going strong tody. Newer Tumi stuff, not so much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads