1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

need last minute semi formal

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hotspur, Apr 27, 2006.

1. hotspur

hotspur Well-Known Member

I am considering going to a dance or "ball" as my university would describe it this friday. It states formal or semi-formal wear is required. Now, I have nothing of the sort, not even shoes or a real dress shirt. Obviously getting something shipped here is out of the question. The only mall around here has nothing other then the usual crap department stores, nothing nicer like neiman marcus or nordstroms. What the hell do I do. Also, ideally, what would you wear to an event like this?

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

It states formal or semi-formal wear is required. What the hell do I do. Also, ideally, what would you wear to an event like this?

This event calls for a tuxedo. If you don't have time to buy then you will have to rent.

3. Matt

Matt [email protected]

semi formal = tux?
    what is formal then?

i would have said this is a suit occassion, but im on the other side of the world, so maybe my understanding of the expectations is different.

hotspur - what is in your area in the way of thrift stores? may be an 'in case of emergency break seal' option for you at short notice.

4. hotspur

hotspur Well-Known Member

on second thought, I went looking for pictures from last year. The emphasis is certainly on semi formal, as the standard blue shirt, red tie, black jacket is prominent. I am just wondering if it is worth it to waste around 150-200 dollars on crappy shoes, dress pants, shirt, tie, and jacket. Id rather buy something that will last me more then one night, and that will look better, I just dont think I will find it around here. The three department stores the mall here has is bonton, boscov, and jc penny. Can I expect to find anything worthwhile? By worthwhile, I mean, whats the least worthless brands I could expect to find.

5. Matt

Matt [email protected]

is there a Target in your area? Been a few threads in the past (most recently Jason's ) talking about the 'its pretty damn good since it cost me ten bucks' stuff they have found there.

6. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

semi formal = tux?
    what is formal then?

White tie and tails.

7. Matt

Matt [email protected]

White tie and tails.
    damn dude, your college dances and mine were clearly very very different

8. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Some of the Stafford stuff at J.C. Penney's is pretty good. It's pretty trad. The brand manager posts on Ask Andy - and apparently used to be with Brooks Brothers.

Penney's also had some modern-styled suits and suit separates under the Nick(It) line last time I was in one.

One of those might brands might do the trick for you.

9. sammy

sammy Senior Member

Wear a dark suit (navy or charcoal), white shirt, bow tie (dark color and/or pattern, not black) and white pocket square. That should be formale enough for your needs while not making you rent a tux.

10. coachvu

coachvu Senior Member

The idea is that you wear a tuxedo if you have one, shirt/slacks/tie if you don't. If you want to go ahead and get a suit or blazer, go for it. Most people at these things are going to remove their jackets pretty soon, so it's not a big deal. I just graduated, and even "formal" events were designed so students weren't required to spend money on a rental. If anyone notices, which I doubt they will, all will be forgotten after a few drinks.