• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need last minute DC restaurant advice for tonight!

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I just made a date for tonight in DC (gotta love last minute) and now I'm scrambling to find a good restaurant. I'm a Baltimoron so I don't know much about DC dining.... need some help!!

It has to be at least semi-casual. I'm leaving straight from work and I'm wearing a (nice) black sweater, dark jeans and black boots (not work boots)

This is a first date and she just moved to DC from Vegas so we are both clueless. Here's what I do know:

-she's allergic to shellfish and strawberries
-I don't eat beef or pork but do eat a lot of seafood
-she's not a sushi fan
-she lives in Tacoma Park
-I'd like to keep it under $50 a plate (not including drinks)

Also, I'd like it to be in a area that has at least a bit of nightlife so we can grab drinks and hang out afterwards. It's supposed to be rainy all night so I want to minimize travel and walking.

So that's the low-down - any advise is appreciated!!

jkennett

Reaction score
In my mind... definitely Dupont Circle or Georgetown neighborhoods. Dupont would be slightly better for nightlife after dinner. I'll try to think of a good restaurant and get back to you.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hook in Georgetown is the first restaurant that came to mind. It is very hot right now, so not sure you can get reservations this late.

The tapas restaurants affiliated with Jose Andres (Jaleo, Oyamel, Zaytinya) in the Penn Quarter neighborhood are all very good.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for seafood I went to Black Salt restaurant about a month ago and the food was delicious. The only problem is that it's a pretty good walk away from the center of Washington (it's on MacArthur Boulevard near the Georgetown Reservoir). Watch out for shellfish though if she's allergic.

I also dined at DC Coast at 1401 K Street NW last week, it's more of a Latin-fused place with some pretty unique things on the menu, the portions are huge too so you could probably share a plate. It's also only a few blocks from the Ellipse so you could walk to the Mall if you wanted.

JB

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a DC restaurant that was cool on a date a few months ago - some Ethiopian place in NW (Doku or Duku - something like that) and really enjoyed it but it's very traditional (eat with your hands, share the big tray, etc...) so that might be risky.

Just to clarify what I'm looking for in nightlife - I want to avoid the tacky nightclubs and meatmarkets. Think less Club 5 and more BlackCat.... in fact there are pretty cool dance parties at the BlackCat and DC9 tonight so I might ask if she'd be into those.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bistro du Coin in dupont might be my first rec, if you're OK with French.

If you "stay over," Mark's Kitchen in Takoma Park is good for breakfast.
devil.gif

EDIT: If you're in the U st/black cat area, I've really been meaning to check out Marvin at 14th and U. Resto/bar from the ESL guys with Belgian/soul food influences. I think it would be in your price range.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based upon nightlife considerations, you want to be in the U Street area. I recommend Station 9 (contemporary American), Creme Cafe (contemporary Southern), and Tabaq (Mediterranean tapas). Station 9 has a very cool upstairs lounge and Tabaq has an enclosed roof deck with great views.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second the recommendation for Creme. I think that place is pretty good, and it's reasonably priced and casual. Tabaq has a cool ambience, especially if seaterd upstairs, but i find the food to be mediocre. I haven't been to Station 9 yet. Al Crostino is also in that same neighborhood and is solid Italian. All those places are fairly casual, fairly hip (as far as D.C. goes) restaurants. They also put you right in between DC 9 and the Black Cat. If you want kind of upscale bar/restaurant food you could also check out St. Ex. I think there food has gone downhill the past few years, though. Bar Pilar is just a block away too and is not bad.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
I think I might be leaning towards Station 9 (they got the best reviews so far) but are you sure I won't be underdressed?
You'll be fine. Station 9 is not a jacket-and-tie kind of place. Avoid the scallops -- they're tough.

Originally Posted by zbromer
I second the recommendation for Creme. I think that place is pretty good, and it's reasonably priced and casual. Tabaq has a cool ambience, especially if seaterd upstairs, but i find the food to be mediocre.
Creme's shrimp and grits were fantastic. I haven't been to Tabaq for food, but I have read mixed reviews. Not on Zaytinya's level as far as food goes. The enclosed roof deck has very tight seating and is a bit on the noisy side as well.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
You'll be fine. Station 9 is not a jacket-and-tie kind of place. Avoid the scallops -- they're tough. Creme's shrimp and grits were fantastic. I haven't been to Tabaq for food, but I have read mixed reviews. Not on Zaytinya's level as far as food goes. The enclosed roof deck has very tight seating and is a bit on the noisy side as well.
I read a review that said Tabaq allows smoking in their dining area - that's a show stopper for me. Smoking + food = gross I made reservations for Station 9 so we'll see how it goes! Side Note: I was bummed to see the Har Mar Superstar show is sold out tonight, that dude is hilarious (Imagine Ron Jeremy singing funk songs) and I don't know how but The Hot Chip managed to sell out the 9:30club a month in advance!! I saw them at Sonar last year with maybe 50 people.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
i will be around cap street brewerry for happy hour DRINKS DRINK SDRINKS

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let us know where you ended up, Brett.

I'm one of the unwashed who helped sell out Hot Chip... When I saw them with the Rapture in Philly at the end of '06, it was packed! Justice was DJing, but no one gave a **** about Justice yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads