• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need last minute advice...

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polos on Bluefly I know these shoes are well thought of here, and with the discount would be $430 shipped. Would that be considered a great deal? It would end my search for brown lace ups but that's an awful lot of money for me...

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a pretty good deal. Shoes like these can be found from time to time for under $400 on EBay. On the other hand, with these, you can return them easily if they don't fit or for any other reason. More generically, do you have several other pairs of brown dress shoes? If these are going to be your only real pair of dress, I might instead recommend going on EBay to the Allen-Edmonds store and buying a pair of laceups there. OR, go to Brooksbrothers.com and buy a pair of Peals that are currently on sale (great deals to be had there).

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OR, go to Brooksbrothers.com and buy a pair of Peals that are currently on sale (great deals to be had there).
I like a couple of those Peals, any comment on those by the board? Haven't heard of them personally.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have had a pair of those Cardiffs for two years, and they are by far the shoes that I wear the most. It would be money well spent.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Those aren't Polos. They're EG Cardiffs. $430 is nothing to sneeze at, but it's a very good price for those shoes. It's one of EG's five or seven best patterns, and they're wonderful shoes. If it would be fiscally responsible to do so, I'd snap them up. You might be able to find EGs on eBay for less from time to time, but you'll likely wait for quite some time. I've spent over a year following eBay auctions, and I haven't come close.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Those are in the picture that I posted about my Imeldaitis. They are very fine shoes, and I paid that price on bluefly and don't regret it for a minute. The bluefly pictures do not do the shoes justice.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a slightly cheaper alternative, there are some beautiful Mantellassi's on Yoox in that same antiqued color brown.here I personally like the Green's better, but the Yoox ones look pretty damn fine too. I wish they had some detailing.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're EG Cardiffs. $430 is nothing to sneeze at, but it's a very good price for those shoes. It's one of EG's five or seven best patterns, and they're wonderful shoes. If it would be fiscally responsible to do so, I'd snap them up.
Prices for quality British shoes seem to be skyrocketing, probably because of weakness in the dollar. For example, the John Lobb "Lopez" penny loafers are now $835. at Bergdorf, almost $180 more than a year and a half ago. The C&J Handgrades seem about $100 more each during this period, if purchased from English sources. These shoes, IMO, are far superior to the Brooks English shoes I looked at about 10 days ago. I'd rather spend a little more now for an item that may last you up to 10 years, especially if the chance may not come again.

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
I really don't understand this at all... Last week I posted that I bought both the brown and black EG/RLPL cardiffs for $342 tax included with the shoe trees at NM's Last call... I even offered to stop in while on vacation and check to make sure they had your size etc...Only 2 people took me up on the offer? Yet people continue to post about bluefly...Save yourself close to 100 bucks and order a pair from NM or if your hell bent on spending over $400 for them send me a check and I'll pick you up a pair.... All kidding aside you can get the same shoes for $342, when I arrive home on the 26th I'll post some photos

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Urban Warrior, it was all I could do from calling the Sawgrass Millls. I too wonder why nobody has posted about calling the place. Perhaps you scared people off by noting that one pair looked like it had been crushed by some other stuff. I'm actually heading up to a Last Call in a couple days, and I'm hoping they have the RLPLs there just like they did in Sawgrass. If only to try them on, I'd be a happy man.
smile.gif

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry urban warrior, I never saw that post. If anyone is still going to a Last Call and sees these in brown in a 10.5 or 11 that are mint (ie not store models, etc.) and have shoe trees then I would GREATLY appreciate PMing me to purchase. I'd gladly pay $340 for them and throw some extra your way for the trouble. I don't think that NM would allow me to call and order them/pay over the phone... I'd be worried they would screw that up Â
sad.gif

Urban Warrior

Reaction score
Big...they had a ton of 10.5 US black, brown and even the only pair of chocolate brown in 10.5... I might be headed back that way thursday or friday....PM me if I can help

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Urban Warrior,

If you do go back, please post about other RLPL styles they may have in 10 US. I have brown and black Cardiffs (or to be more correct, Whittakers in RL-speak) already, but I'd be interested in hearing whether there are good deals to be had on other RLPL/EGs.

BTW, which Last Call is this that you have visited, and do you think they can handle a phone order correctly?

Thanks

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
which location/s did you visit? I think I will make the trip to Mazza Gallerie and Tyson's tomorrow... I've got a friend coming with an Amex so holding is no longer a problem.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think NM in the DC area carries RLPL, unfortunately. Tysons NM carries some Lobbs though. Please post if I'm wrong.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads