• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need jacket

dapperdude

Reaction score
The company's going to Magic Castle, which is probably the only restaurant in LA with a strict dress code: tie, jacket, dress shoes.

I want to spend the least money possible to get something that will look good. I went into Men's Wearhouse yesterday to get a cheap blazer, and almost walked out with a JNY Italian pinstripe suit (sold as separates), dress shoes, tie and shirt, but I couldn't do it. They tried to sell me a bunch of stuff I didn't need, which exceeded my original budget of $100 - $150.

I found a nice blazer on macys.com for $120. http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=16499

What can I pair with a navy blazer? Here's what I have to work with:

- Dark charcoal gray wool slacks
- Navy blue wool slacks
- Black trousers (although I don't care for these, as they are pleated)

Do I need light pants to contrast with a dark blazer?

Maybe something like this cord jacket would work better:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=16499

Or this:
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=16499

I already own a Nautica dark navy plaid sportcoat, but I'm not sure if it's dressy enough for this occasion.

Or perhaps the JNY navy pinstripe from MW paired with the charcoal slacks? It is a handsome jacket, although a bit more than I wanted to spend at $200. I could return to the store, even though they annoyed me.

Thanks for your advice.

dapperdude

Reaction score
Another thing: the guy at Men's Wearhouse tried to convince me that their Italian brand which retails for $150 or so (can't remember the name, but sounds like "Via Spizza") was top-of-the-line leather. Then the manager started talking about how square-toed shoes are so "in" now -- it's all they talked about at the last district manager's meeting -- like that's going to influence my decision-making. You ever have one of those moments where you just want to tell the salespeople how full of it they are?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Um, wow, you have a lot of archive reading ahead of you!
laugh.gif
I wouldn't buy anything more expensive than Target until you have. Short answer: the "dark navy plaid" jacket should be acceptable, pair it with constrasting trousers such as light grey or khaki.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Macy's jacket is described to feature a peak lapel . . . looks like a notch lapel, to me. I don't see anything wrong with that blazer and dark grey trousers.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dapperdude
a Nautica dark navy plaid sportcoat ................paired with the charcoal slacks?
That's sounds fine to me. IMO, with blazer/sportcoats, the darker the trousers, the dressier the outfit.

I'll wear any of these grey trousers with a blue blazer but the charcoal trousers make for a dressier ensemble.

Shoes001.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No navy tops/jackets/pants with black tops/jackets/pants and vice versa (ties may be an exception).

The most standard pants for a navy blazer are khakis or medium-dark gray pants.

Yes, I always want to tell salespeople that, but I fear crushing their souls. I mean, they already had to sit through that district meeting.

For $120 I could walk into almost any thrift shop in the world and probably find a navy blazer in nearly new shape that would fit fine and most likely be better quality than the one from Macy's, and walk out and hand you $90-100 in change. If you're against thrift or used clothes, nevermind this option.

Target may be a good option actually; it's probably nearly the same quality as the Macy's one, just cheaper. Just make sure you get one that is made of 100% wool - some of their jackets are poly/rayon or something.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trouser at the top of the page, is an unusual taupe/gray. Very elegant. I'll take the shoes, too.

dapperdude

Reaction score
I saw the earlier suggestions to look at Target. I browsed Target.com and strangely, I couldn't find a single jacket in my size. Plus, since I only have a week left, to order online would be cutting it really close, since I'll also need alterations. I know, I shouldn't have waited until the last minute. I also looked at Macy's and Nordstrom's today.

Due to time constraints in this situation, and difficulty finding my size in many stores, I decided to just take care of this today regardless of the cost (well, within reason). I ended up with a Nordstrom's navy blazer for $300 and some nice slim-fitting Hugo Boss gray slacks for $175. I definitely broke my original budget, but I felt better about spending good money on these items than on the stuff that MW was pushing. Plus, I needed a navy blazer. They are versatile and essential items.

The guy at Nordstrom's insisted I need a 36s, which is my true chest size, but at MW they tried to sell me a 38s. According to the Nordstrom's guy, the reason they did this is not because of my broad shoulders, but because they don't carry many items in 36s!

I know I'll get a lot of use out of these, much more than I would a suit. And they look great! Esp. the HB slacks - they are really stylish.

I would probably go back to Nordstrom's again in the future, as the service was excellent without that used car lot vibe I get from MW. But I'll also check out thrift stores at my leisure for future purchases. Thrift stores, e-bay, etc., are great when you have lots of time.

Oh, and I think I'll use the Nautica jacket for other occasions, or sell it. It was an impluse buy from MW awhile back, and I like the blazer much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads