• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need jacket suggestions

lbtg43

Reaction score
i need to purchase a new winter jacket asap- i have no good outerwear

looking for something black.. maybe wool(not a must)
going for an indie look so something with a utilitarian/military style would be great

it has to be slim as well we also very warm for freezing temperatures/snow/etc

and, as always, the cheaper the better.

thanks!

p.s.

my only jacket right now is a olive m65 so I would like something slightly different

Reaction score
hmmm. either looks like it will serve you well. the dickies "arctic shield" certainly sounds serviceable as a winter coat.

the swedish brand dunderdon makes heavy duty workwear-ish jackets; great quality; very utilitarian; pricier than dickies/carrhart, but worth the premium

Goblin

Reaction score
I would not describe Dickies or Carhartt as "slim," which is unfortunate, as I'm a long-time devotee of both brands and now find myself unable to wear any outerwear they make.

lbtg43

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
I would not describe Dickies or Carhartt as "slim," which is unfortunate, as I'm a long-time devotee of both brands and now find myself unable to wear any outerwear they make.
ughh thats unfortunate- do you have any other suggestions? edit; this dunderdon jacket also looks very good to me: http://dunderdon.com/manuByID/679/images/A6-022Main.jpg can anyone give me a suggestion on fit/warmth/quality of any three of these jackets before i pull the trigger trying to figure out which is the slimmest/warmest/best quality

Goblin

Reaction score
You might try some of the Spiewak stuff at ..........com ... that's where I'll be looking for this season's winter jacket. For right now, I'm actually wearing a gray Mossimo jacket, very basic "work" style, that I got at Target for $35.

I'd avoid going *too* slim on any jacket that has to pull its weight in a real winter climate, as you'll be layering beneath it.

floete

Reaction score
i don't know about dunderon's winter jackets, but this blazer-type jacket is one of the sweetest looking ones i've seen in a long time. might spring for it. what'd'yall think?

A6-023Main.jpg

mendel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by floete
i don't know about dunderon's winter jackets, but this blazer-type jacket is one of the sweetest looking ones i've seen in a long time. might spring for it. what'd'yall think?

I think it'd be pretty cold as a winter jacket.
confused.gif

Antler4641

Reaction score
I'm looking for a jacket/coat with ribbing like in this picture:

50_1.JPG

Does anyone have any tips for me? It can be a pretty simple looking jacket.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im diggin that jacket floete, I like the shape
I have a Red Cap work jacket that I wore in the shop that kept me quite warm for many winters as well as surviving a bike wreck.
My daily Winter coat is a Freeworld Snowboard jacket with a fur lined hood. Super warm and I dont have to wear an inner shell.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jiomitori
I'm looking for a jacket/coat with ribbing like in this picture:
50_1.JPG
Does anyone have any tips for me? It can be a pretty simple looking jacket.

Is the ribbing all you care about? You could get a repro tanker jacket if you want that on a military style jacket.

blackgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Is the ribbing all you care about? You could get a repro tanker jacket if you want that on a military style jacket.

Totally agree....The ribbing is a little wider on the photo posted as opposed to the Tanker jacket I have but still very similar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads