• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need IWC 3714 AD recommendations

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am planing to purchase a IWC3714 for myself. I need recommendations for an AD. I live in northwest surburb of Chicago, but I don't have to purchase it locally. Who ever offer the best price, as long as it is an AD, I will be glad to purchase from. Any drawbacks for not puchasing it locally?

What are the best prices/discounts that I should be able to get?

PM or reply here. TIA.

Also, I can't really decide which one to buy between 371401, 371417, and 371438 (all stainless steel). Your views are greatly appreciated.

3714_001_l.jpg

3714_017_l.jpg

3714_038_l.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gold markers and hands + small blue chrono hand is the most elegant version IMO (especially in real life). Of course the RG case / black dial is well above these three choices but since you're sticking to ss case, 01 is my preferred choice

bigbjorn

Reaction score
The -01 is the classic, and I think the blued steel second hand stands out and looks cool. The all-blued hands strikes me as slightly less dressy, but is also a very handsome watch.

By the way, may I commend your great taste? I have a 3251, and a 3714 is my next purchase. Perhaps to commemorate the birth of my kid, coming in a few months.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I like the 1st one the best; but, I think the blue one will be more versatile.

Also, as for an AD I really think you need to go in locally to shops and talk with them and see what they will give you. There is no AD that is going to sell it via the internet.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
There is no AD that is going to sell it via the internet.
That's not completely true. They do not have online shops but many ADs will sell you a watch via phone or email.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
That's not completely true. They do not have online shops but many ADs will sell you a watch via phone or email.

Very true. In fact, Phil at Cellini tells me the vast majority of his business is done over the phone. Big spenders and collectors know what they want. The browsers tend not to be so knowledgeable.

Of the three shown, I'd have to nix the blue dial. Dark numerals like that always bother me--unless they're printed or embossed. The other two are so different, it really comes down to which you're going to enjoy looking at the most. I understand the combination of gold numerals/hands on a white dial has become known as 'classic', but there really is no standard dial for the Portuguese. The 'classic' combination above really descends from the Jubilee model from 1993--in the past, Portuguese watches were all one-offs. Some vintage Portuguese watches have black dials, for example. In fact, IWC's newest 'Vintage' collection watches reproduces a vintage black dial Portuguese, not one with a white face and gold hands.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

I guess my point was I think being there face to face with an AD is going to get you a better discount than just cold calling someone in another state.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the 1st one the best; but, I think the blue one will be more versatile.

Also, as for an AD I really think you need to go in locally to shops and talk with them and see what they will give you. There is no AD that is going to sell it via the internet.

I know not internet. But I would like to call and place an order if an out state AD can offer a better price as Greg mentioned.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess my point was I think being there face to face with an AD is going to get you a better discount than just cold calling someone in another state.

Not necessarily. I've always gotten the best deals on the phone actually. You should call around, get different offers, then have them compete. For example, get a discount from Wempe, then call-up Cellini. After you've discussed what you want, and ask them what kind of price they can offer, counter it with Wempe's.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Understood. But that's not necessarily true either. Asking for AD recommendations for good discounts has been very useful to me before. Other collectors gave me names of out-of-state ADs and sales people who sold me watches at much better discounts than I could find in NYC.

If one does have a great AD relationship (which I understand you do) and can get great discounts, then I agree that there's no need to look elsewhere, and it's better to continue to cultivate that relationship

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Another thing that it comes down to me, personally, is that I would get no satisfaction buying something over the phone/internet.

I would rather get 20% off and be able to go in and buy it than get 30% off and call Phil out in Texas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads