• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need high quality sexy, stylish card

jadams0888

Reaction score
My wife is into paper. She dislikes common hallmark cards. I have anniversary coming soon and she's made comments to her friends that she doesn't care about the gift as much as the "thought" (yeah, right!). But, supposedly a really nice card w/ some heartfelt words would mean more than an expensive gift. I'm sure I can't get away w/ out a gift, but times are tight and if I can get a card and not so big of gift...I'm all for it.

Any advice appreciated. I have no idea how to find a cool, high-end anniversary card.

Thanks, Befuddled

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know any sources. But I thought you were going to say that you wanted to buy her nice stationary. Isn't that what you meant? Huh?
smile.gif

Good luck. I'm still searching for both a wedding gift for my (to be) wife and a gift for my best woman. I'm as lost as you.

b

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I truly dislike giving Hallmark cards. Their slogan is something like 'when you care enough to send the very best' -- instead I always feel it is more like 'when you care so little you pop into the most convenient store in the mall' and pick out a card. It is essential to me that when the recipient gets a card I have sent, that they know, 1) exactly who it was from from the card itself (as opposed to my name being on it), and that I obviously picked it out for them, specifically, again, just from the card itself. Most of my card sources are small, boutique florists/gift stores that carry cards from smaller labels, not Hallmark, American Greetings, Gibson, et al. For more 'available' places: Barnes & Noble occasionally has some 'different' cards, as do some of the larger, better grocery stores here in the Northeast US. I have also bought vintage greeting cards. I had a store near me that used to carry cards from here, a lovely little English stationer (I find I appreciate the English aesthetic in things, as well as the non-standard sizing). It is interesting to tell someone, after they have commented on the card, that you had it imported from England. http://www.judyballcards.co.uk/ If I knew someone in the SO or potential SO class, I would certainly buy some handmade paper and commission a student artist (college art students like commissions) to do something very specifically tailored to the Lady and the occasion, then get a calligrapher to write the inscription. This may be an option for you. Also, if you are of a literary bent, compose a love lettert, and handwrite it with care on good stationary. I don't have and SO, but the ladies to whom I have sent handwritten personal letters (not always in an amorous sense, even just a thank-you) have always said they would keep them forever. IOW, invested effort, thought and emotion does seem to pay off. Good luck and congrats, Huntsman

jadams0888

Reaction score
Their slogan is something like 'when you care enough to send the very best' -- instead I always feel it is more like 'when you care so little you pop into the most convenient store in the mall' and pick out a card. It is essential to me that when the recipient gets a card I have sent, that they know, 1) exactly who it was from from the card itself (as opposed to my name being on it), and that I obviously picked it out for them, specifically, again, just from the card itself.
Huntsman-You sound like my wife! Good advice. Thank you. Unfortunately, the link for judyballcards doesn't seem to be active anymore. I'll keep searching the web for more sites w/ decent looking cards or stationery...

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
How about making a card and writing the interior sentiments yourself? I think that for most women, the personal touch would more than outweigh the lack of expertise.
{Or what Huntsman wrote, which I should have read before posting.}

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And to show that you really care, study basic italic calligraphy -- its an easily-acquired skill that all too few take the time for.

jadams0888

Reaction score
All good advice. I did some web searching and found a few good sites:

www.remanents.com

www.papermints.com

and

www.soleberry.com

I particularily like the "connect w/ style" gift boxes on remanents. If I combine that gift w/ a "black bra" card and work on my writing skills as huntsman suggests, I should be milking this for a while...

Thanks all.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
do a search on the forum for high-end stationary. There's really nice paper out there but you have to know where to look. You could also use a wax seal with a little flower in it as a finishing touch or apply a scent to the paper. I did this once and it was very well received. Wax seals take a bit of practice to do well, but it's worth it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You could hire Getsmart to tattoo a card on the body part of your choice. If you go that route, just be sure in your mind that this wife is a keeper . . .

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jadams0888
Huntsman-You sound like my wife! Good advice. Thank you. Unfortunately, the link for judyballcards doesn't seem to be active anymore. I'll keep searching the web for more sites w/ decent looking cards or stationery...

Thanks, that's one of the nicer things that has been said about me.

Sorry judyball is offline; I was there not long ago and hope it is only a glitch of some sort. Wish I had some others to offer.

Regards,
Huntsman

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of making your own..

I have on many an occassion made my own cards in the style of a Matisse cut-out. It takes surprisingly little talent (trust me, I have very little), some construction paper, glue, and an exacto knife.

Designs have included a b-day card with a shooting star (starting in the lower left corner and arcing out all the while growing larger) and Cupid shooting a heart, obviously for St. Valentine's Day. I think I did a NYC themed one for my nephew's b-day also. That one included some pre-made things (I think they were stickers--I honestly can't remember now) of the empire state building and a classic car.

And I will undoubtedly make one for my fiancee for our upcoming wedding.

bob

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads