1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LState, Sep 27, 2011.

1. LState

LState New Member

So i am going to a semi formal with and my date is wearing a yellow dress with just a slight hint of green in it and i have a grey suit with dark brown shoes. I don't know what color tie to wear with it. Suggestions???

2. sidamo

sidamo Well-Known Member

pale yellow or navy blue, what color is the shirt you plan on wearing?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  3. LState

LState New Member

4. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

What on earth is "a semi formal"? With the vagueness of current dress-code interpretation that could mean anything from black tie down to 'anything but trainers or shorts'.

The suggestion above of navy blue is good, either a plain blue or something like a pin-dot. I don't really like yellow ties much, and I especially wouldn't wear one with a white shirt (too little contrast) but if you want to tie your outfit together with your date's dress then a dark green tie might also work. 'Matching' with your date is generally frowned upon here, as it is tacky and usually looks forced, but I think a dark green tie can look good on it's own; just make sure it doesn't precisely match the colour in your date's dress.

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Wait like a fraternity/sorority semi-formal? Or a high school semi-formal?

6. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

No need to match your date. Just make sure your own clothes match.

That said, generally I would not wear a navy tie to what I assume is a more festive event. While not bad or wrong, it's not ideal either. Too business-like. Pick something lighter or more vibrant in color.