• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help!

lcutmatt

Reaction score
I'm going to New York for the first time in a couple of weeks. Growing up in the south, I usually wear khaki pants and polo shirts out. However, I don't think that preppy look will go over in the big city. Can anyone give me an idea of what people wear up there (nightlife attire), and some good places to find what I need (local and national). I'd appreciate any input.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd save your shopping for when you get to NY. Best way to see what to wear is to look at what other people are wearing and decide what would look good on you. If you still have no clue, go to a nice shop and ask someone that knows. It would also probably help if you specified what type of places you intend to go to. "Nightlife attire" can mean a whole lot of different things in NY ;p

thc

Reaction score
It all depends on where you go. There are plenty of normal bars where khakis and a polo shirt is fine--or even jeans & a t-shirt for that matter. But if you're going out to a more dressy place or a more high-profile place, you'll want to dress up a little. Black, obviously, is always a safe bet. If you give me an idea of your budget and where you want to go, I can give you some suggestions as to some stores in NY that might be good to visit...

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Throw away your khakis and polo shirts. This look screams, "Hey.. I'm not from NY." The only appropriate time for this look is if you have a business casual job. As for the night, go buy some flat front black pants from Theory or if your on a budget Ken Cole or DKNY.

I'm experienced in cases such as yours, cause my roomate last year was from N. Carolina. Each year he comes back from home, I have to remind him to wear more black rather than khaki. Also not that many people wear shorts, as I know you are accoustomed to in the south.

This summer alot of students from other schools stayed in my dorm and they all wore the polo/khaki look. It was kinda funny cause they stuck out pretty bad and all the girls that live here made fun of them.

However, if your just visiting then don't worry about trying to blend in. If your staying here for a while then just ask and I'll give you some more help. Just tell us how long your staying, what your budget is, and how old you are (in order to tell you the apropriate look).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads