Need Help with Sizing for Barbour Beaufort jacket

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NorCal_1, Jan 11, 2008.

1. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

can somebody please answer a quick question about Barbour Beaufort sizing

I'm a size 44 generally for suits and jackets but the Barbour seems to be cut really large/boxy

would a 42 fit me better and be less boxy than the 44?

I live in northern california, so it's very unlikely I will have anything under it, other than an occasional sweater from time to time

I'm trying to avoid a baggy fit

44 or 42?

THX

2. greatfool

greatfool Member

I always thought the traditional Barbour jacket was supposed to fit large, over whatever else you're wearing. I guess there is a market for a more trendy fitted look though.

I wear a 38 jacket and my Bedale 40 is what I consider a correct fit, its not huge but large enough to wear over something with some bulk, so I wouldn't recommend going below your true size as the sleeves might be too short.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I owned a Barbour Beaufort. I wear a size 41L-42L in sport coats and my wife brought me back from the UK a Beaufort in size 42. I think they fit and feel better slightly oversized. I wish I would have had a 44. I thought the fit was a bit small and eventually gave it away. I usually wore it over a sweater (I live in Northern California, too)

I think if you want a jacket to be a little more fitted you should try a different brand or style all together. I don't think it is a sizing matter, it is the cut and functional elements (i.e. pockets) that make it what it is. It will never appear to be a trim fit jacket.

4. moonman

moonman Well-Known Member

I wear a 42L suit jacket and just got a Barbour Bedale jackect at Orvis. I ended up getting a 44. The 42 was OK for the body but a bit short in the sleeves. I think the 44 fits very well. I doubt that you would need to go down a size.

I live in SF and the jacket is more or less perfect without a liner. The sales person that helped me at Orvis in downtown SF (who seemed to know the merchandise very well) indicated that the liner wouldn't be necessary and I think he was right.

5. TCN

TCN Senior member

I agree with the last two posts. I own at least ten Barbour jackets, and have always sized up a bit (depending on the particular model's sleeve/shoulder design).

Barbour's traditional snap-in linings are for the birds, so you'll most often be wearing a sweater under them in early winter for warmth.

6. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

7. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

I wear a 44 suit and sized up to a 46. Fits great!

8. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

can somebody please answer a quick question about Barbour Beaufort sizing

I'm a size 44 generally for suits and jackets but the Barbour seems to be cut really large/boxy

would a 42 fit me better and be less boxy than the 44?

I live in northern california, so it's very unlikely I will have anything under it, other than an occasional sweater from time to time

I'm trying to avoid a baggy fit

44 or 42?

THX

For the look you want, I'd size down - provided the sleeves are long enough and it doesn't look too tight (since it will inevitably look a little old / frumpy).

I like my Beaufort a lot but I think it has to fit well to avoid looking too old / frumpy.

9. nmoraitis

nmoraitis Senior member

I wouldn't size down, just get the same size you usually wear. I wear a 38R for suits and the Beaufort in 38" is a perfect fit for me even with a suit jacket underneath it. Sizing down to a 36" was too constricting for me. Not sure why everyone is giving advice on sizing up, unless you want to look like an old man, and a sloppy one at that.

10. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I wouldn't size down, just get the same size you usually wear. I wear a 38R for suits and the Beaufort in 38" is a perfect fit for me even with a suit jacket underneath it. Sizing down to a 36" was too constricting for me. Not sure why everyone is giving advice on sizing up, unless you want to look like an old man, and a sloppy one at that.

I completely agree with this statement. I wear a 38 in both my coats/suits and my Beaufort. I've worn it over coats, sweaters, puffy vests, hoodies, and just a shirt. I'm more than happy with the fit in all instances. It's a boxy jacket and would probably look odd too fitted. I think it's best worn over a sweater, so it's nice to have a little extra room in the jacket anyway.

11. Tidybeard

Tidybeard Senior member

I wear a pretty standard 44R in suits and I have a Large Beaufort which according to the catalogue is a 42-44 chest. It fits slightly loose, i.e. perfect for a large sweater underneath. It's a great jacket, I think you'll be pleased.

12. huskyzealot

huskyzealot Senior member

I am a true 41r so I fall between the two sizes.

For the beaufort I size up to 42r. This works well. Since this is a longer coat that can be worn over a blazer, the added room comes in handy. When I am wearing just a shirt underneath, I have still not found the 42 to be large or boxy...I think this is because the coat is heavy material that falls/drapes nicely.

For the bedale I size down to 40r, this is a shorter coat that you can't really wear over a blazer. Also since it is a shorter coat I find that I tend to wear my Beauforts instead when it is really cold (ie: when you have a thick sweater on)...so the added room of sizing up is unnecessary.

13. moolala

moolala Senior member

I am a true 38 (40" chest) and I was thinking about sizing down to a 36. Went to Orvis and tried them on--the classic beaufort--and the 38 fits MUCH better. It's not a fitted look, but that's not what beauforts are supposed to look like....contrary to some of the fit pics that have been posted around here.

I would say go tts, perhaps even a size up if you want to layer heavy underneath.

14. Endeavour

Endeavour Member

I have about a 35-inch chest and find the 36 to be almost perfect fitting. it fits close without being constricting . It is fairly unshaped so don't expect much waist suppression, but suspect that sizing down wouldn't improve the waist much and would be constraining in the shoulders

15. Eustace

Eustace Senior member

I'm a 41R and got a 40 and wouldn't change a thing. It is a bit more fitted, but it's not tight by any means. So count me as the lone dissenter who sized down and was happy.