• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with shoes/boots....very detailed inside

gabby11303

Reaction score
Looking at getting some new boots and need a little help finding/choosing. A little info on what I have/wear now. I currently have beeswax Clarks Desert Boots and white chucks. The most dressed up I have to get is a pair of cords, clarks and a button down or sweater. Also looking for a jacket/coat. I have a pea coat which only gets worn in really cold weather. Need something lighter.

As far as shirts go, this is what I currently have (just talking about winter):

red/black buffalo check flannel
red/black Flat Head flannel (on the way)
Navy Flat Head l/s chambray
Self Edge Never on Sunday shirt (black)
Self Edge s/s sea shirt
grey button down l/s (casual)
white/blue/red j crew flannel

As you can see it's mostly flannel/workwear type in the rotation right now. Not a lot of variation. I like it that way though. Makes it easier to figure out what to wear.

I think of the clarks as more of a preppy type boot and I don't think most of those shirts would look well with them. Given the colors and types of shirts, I think I need to get some type of black boot, more on the rugged side than dressy.

Most of my jeans have leg openings of about 8.25-8.75. Here is what I have:

Flat Head BSP (slim tapered)
Flat Head 380 (straight)
Flat Head 4001BK (slim straight)
Nudie Average Joe (straight)

So far I've looked at Alden, piperlime.com, redwing shoes, a little on zappos. Since I have mostly slim/straight jeans, I thought it would be best to get something not so clunky. So far I came up with the Red Wing 8130 (classic lifestyle, but in black) and the gentelmen traveler. I have to order on line so it makes it a little harder. Are these a clunky boots, or can you wear them with a slim type jean?

Any recommendations would be helpful. I don't want anything that comes up higher than these. If you like, also recommend something in brown or maybe some low cut lace ups that may go well with what I have listed above.

Thanks

6653.jpg

vasqu248684_90535_lg.jpg

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...n=m&pcid=13594

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpa...=m&pcid=111399

mrbojangles928

Reaction score
I love the GTs and have a pair in black cherry that I wear with average joe's. I think they have an 8 inch leg opening which may be among the slimmest of the jeans you posted. I think they look great, though i would not go much smaller than that with the leg opening. I also have huge feet, so if you are getting the GT or even the other RW in anything less than a 12 (I think thats the biggest GTs come in anyway) they should look fine with any hem that is 8 inches or larger.

rolling green

Reaction score
Love the 8130's they would definitely go with what you have. The white sole in my opinion tends to look a little chunky but I like it. If a pair of cords, and a button down or sweater is as dressed up as you get I don't see why not.

gabby11303

Reaction score
Yaeh, it's the extreme rare occasion that I need to get dressed up.

My average joe's are a size 33 and the leg opening measures 8.5. My BSP's are the smallest leg opening I have with a 8.25.

My normal shoe size is only an 8.5-9. So the GT isn't too chunky/clown shoe looking?

fitzge22

Reaction score
I have a pair of flathead f310's which I believe has a leg opening of 8.3 or so. I tried a pair of GTs size 10.5 and thought they were a bit too clunky looking with them

gabby11303

Reaction score
How about the brown classic lifestyle, which I think are the same as the 8130.

Have any other suggestions?

MonkeyFresh

Reaction score
as most have mentioned the GT looks great with slim jeans however i wouldnt rock anything too skinny with the GT...
but yea, i love my GT's, rock them with my SEXI04's the leg hole is only 7.5, and i agree they'd look nicer with a jean that has a larger leg hole, but its all dependent on what you like... personally i love the small leg hole with these and the stacks that sit on top the shoe.
also, nice shirt rotation, i want all those shirts
smile.gif

gabby11303

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions. Anybody else before I pull the trigger? By the way, what's up with sizing for Red Wing? I'm usually an 8.5-9 in regular shoes and have to go down to an 8 in chucks. I figured I'd try an 8 in the red wings.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Wing boots are ugly. Please stop buying them.

Save up a little more and get something much better.

gabby11303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Red Wing boots are ugly. Please stop buying them.

Save up a little more and get something much better.

Yaeh, I don't like either of those.

Is there a thinner type shoe or boot that somebody could recommend that would look good with the above type shirts? Not too dressy, soemthing about as slim as the desert boot.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, that confirms it -- some people just have no taste.
teacha.gif

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you just have different tastes.
teacha.gif

aizan

Reaction score
really long toe vs. distressed leather.
frown.gif
how about this frye brando lace boot?
1082007114850170BrandoLace_BLACK_multi.jpg
or arkansas boot?
1082007114613857Arkansas_BLACK_multi.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads