• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need help with shirts, trousers and ties

herzzreh

Reaction score
I got a new job and the dress code there is trousers, shirt and tie. The job comes with a $1300 one-time clothing allowance.

I own zero trousers, dress shirts and very little ties, and therefore, I have no clue as to what's good and what's bad. So, looking for suggestions as to what brands to get to have enough outfits for a normal 5-day week and to fit within that allowance.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 suits, 10 shirts and 5 ties should be a good start. If you hunt for deals, you should be able to stay within your budget. You might even have enough left over for a pair of shoes.

Don't wear a tie without a jacket.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
3 suits, 10 shirts and 5 ties should be a good start. If you hunt for deals, you should be able to stay within your budget. You might even have enough left over for a pair of shoes.

That's what I was thinking but... what brands should I be looking at?

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no easy answer. Read the forum. It will take some effort.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, best advice is to read the forum.

The buy/sell section is pretty good. A lot of sales going on as well.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
A sweater should suffice in the OP's case, as least some of the time.

Originally Posted by herzzreh
That's what I was thinking but... what brands should I be looking at?
H&M and Zara are cheap. Other mid-market brands on sale might also work.

Anyway, I'd do a navy blazer (but not necessarily with brass buttons), a black/white herringbone tweed, a charcoal suit, and then a couple pairs of add trousers. Seeing that you're selling sz. 28 jeans right, now, I'd assume that you're fairly slim, so read up on the Slim Fit Shirts thread over on the Men's Clothing board. Stick with solid white/light blue/light pink, subtle stripes, and occasional checks for now.

As far as ties go, the groupthink at MC goes kind of nuts for knit ties, but with fairly good reason. J. Crew has some nice, relatively cheap ones. For your regular silk ties, just be tasteful. I see a whole lot of great outfits get totally ruined by bad ties.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40