• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need help with nice casual/dress shirts

jaredw

Reaction score
Hi guys.

First time poster, some other dude referred me here for help.

I'm 18, first year student at UCSD and I want to buy a few nice shirts. By that I mean with collar and button. Right now I only own two button down shirts: a solid black and a solid darkish, somewhat shiny red, both Calvin Klein. My budget is <$100 per shirt. I know absolutely nothing about what I'm doing, what brands are good, what to look for, ANYTHING. Also, this is going to suck, but I need to be able to buy what I'm looking for at Amazon.com; I have lotsa money in gift certificates there. My plan is to hopefully get some tips here, then take a girl with me to macy's or whatever, try on and see what looks good on me, then buy it at amazon. These shirts are generally for dates or going out to nice places with friends, family parties, etc.

I'm 5'10 160lbs with an olive/tannish complexion [i've been told this means i should get colors to compliment that, i have no idea what that means or what colors this refers to].

I also need one pair of nice shoes that will go with everything, but I don't want to spend very much. Like 100, again. Again, no idea what I'm doing.

I am looking for any and all recommendations. As a young guy, I own like no nice clothes, excepting a few pairs of paper denim or seven jeans.

Here are some shirts that I like:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...UKUMC&v=glance

I hope I gave all info needed for you guys to help me out. If this is in the wrong place, sorry.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jared,

Welcome to the board. This part of the forum is mostly about dress clothes. You might check out the steerwear section, too, if you haven't already.

The Ben Sherman shirt you like is really a fashion piece, not a classic dress shirt. I'd say $85 is a bit steep for that. There are some Ben Sherman's on Amazon for $54, which I'd say is more reasonable but not great. Still, you might do well to buy a fashion shirt and one or two basics--something in a light to medium blue, for example, or perhaps a nice stripe or check pattern. I saw lots of inexpensive options--nordstrom basics, calvin klein, etc. If you miz and match fashion and classic pieces, you may be able to buy more shirts or save the extra money for shoes, a nice belt, whatever. BTW, do you know your dress shirt size?

Re shoes, if you wear mostly black, then black shoes will work. Most people here prefer brown shoes. They go with all sorts of blues and grays. Are you looking for a dress shoe? If you are, try to buy a pair of good shoes--e.g., Allen Edmonds--on sale at Amazon. They are well worth $200. If you take care of them, they will last at least 10 years.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by jaredw

I'm 18, first year student at UCSD and I want to buy a few nice shirts. By that I mean with collar and button. Right now I only own two button down shirts: a solid black and a solid darkish, somewhat shiny red, both Calvin Klein. My budget is <$100 per shirt. I know absolutely nothing about what I'm doing, what brands are good, what to look for, ANYTHING. Also, this is going to suck, but I need to be able to buy what I'm looking for at Amazon.com; I have lotsa money in gift certificates there. My plan is to hopefully get some tips here, then take a girl with me to macy's or whatever, try on and see what looks good on me, then buy it at amazon. These shirts are generally for dates or going out to nice places with friends, family parties, etc.

I'm 5'10 160lbs with an olive/tannish complexion [i've been told this means i should get colors to compliment that, i have no idea what that means or what colors this refers to].

I also need one pair of nice shoes that will go with everything, but I don't want to spend very much. Like 100, again. Again, no idea what I'm doing.

I am looking for any and all recommendations. As a young guy, I own like no nice clothes, excepting a few pairs of paper denim or seven jeans.

Here are some shirts that I like:

I hope I gave all info needed for you guys to help me out. If this is in the wrong place, sorry.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm 18, first year student at UCSD

i'm so jealous. you're just starting out on one of the most amazing journeys that you will have in your life. first off, have as much fun as you can!!! Go Tritons! UCSD, Warren College, Class of '95!

maybe not as fashion forward as the shirts you linked but i know that Polo.com is an affiliate of Amazon.com and if you can wait for their before/after x-mas sales, you could do fairly well.

ah, Revolve Clothing is also an affiliate. definitely check out their stuff. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...1040658&page=1

and i believe Bluefly is also an affiliate. they've gone done in terms of available clothing at relatively affordable prices but still worth a look.

i have no suggestion on WHAT to wear since my standard outfit at UCSD was a hoodie and shorts. heh heh.

damn, damn, damn, i'm jealous...

-Jeff

Newton

Reaction score
Shiny red shirt
frown.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i agree with the above that a nice black shoe will be good for starters and if you are new clothes will be mainly dealing with going out, it best be a nice pair of dress shoes with a leather sole:

IMGP1679.jpg

all of those shoes above are at least 200 dollars (some are 500), but you can get away with a 100 dollar allen edmonds or something else, but know for in general a good investment in a shoe will cost you at least 200 in most cases.

start off with a nice blucher moc toe or a plain toe laceup.

oh and good luck at san diego.
i did attend revelle college for one year when i was living down there. nice beautiful campus, cool people, nice weather.
i wonder if they still have those run down mudhuts at revelle, i was at Discovery.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe

i did attend revelle college for one year when i was living down there. nice beautiful campus, cool people, nice weather.
i wonder if they still have those run down mudhuts at revelle, i was at Discovery.

last time i was down there in Summer '05 they still did. oh to be 18 and in college at a place where temps average in the 70s almost year round.
devil.gif

-Jeff

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i agree with the above that a nice black shoe will be good for starters and if you are new clothes will be mainly dealing with going out, it best be a nice pair of dress shoes with a leather sole:

IMGP1679.jpg

all of those shoes above are at least 200 dollars (some are 500), but you can get away with a 100 dollar allen edmonds or something else, but know for in general a good investment in a shoe will cost you at least 200 in most cases.

start off with a nice blucher moc toe or a plain toe laceup.

$100 allen edmonds? On ebay maybe... he's buying from amazon heh

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Ben Sherman's hit up Nordstrom Rack, I just got a collared button down for $30 I really like it because I can wear it with or without a tie. 15 1/2 34-35 is an almost impossible size to find for Ben Sherman at Nordy Rack though.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
For Ben Sherman's hit up Nordstrom Rack, I just got a collared button down for $30 I really like it because I can wear it with or without a tie. 15 1/2 34-35 is an almost impossible size to find for Ben Sherman at Nordy Rack though.

Also, this is going to suck, but I need to be able to buy what I'm looking for at Amazon.com; I have lotsa money in gift certificates there.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly, so I would buy something that is hard to find cheap elsewhere.

My vote, good luck!

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Jared!

I can't help with your immediate search, but in the longer term, you'll want to haunt the Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, and Loehman's in Mission Valley, as well as all the local Marshalls stores. You can find some amazing deals!

For some information (resources) about coordinating colors with skin tone, hair color, etc., look here:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...r+coordination

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bright blue is a good choice. Burgundy looks good and is moderately attention-getting. Since you didn't list long sleeves as a requirement and anything very dressy probably won't work with your jeans, you might like this. But that shirt color likely would require darker jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics