Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need help with maths question

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by il_colonnello, Sep 22, 2012.

1. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

15 years out of school and with a non-science degree under my belt, my maths is a bit rusty. Need to brush up for a computer-based test.

The question is this:

"Some tourists return to the same country several times in the same year. In 2000, it was noted that in Italy 80% of tourists made a single trip to the country, 15% came twice, and 5% at least 3 times. How many individual tourists visited Italy in 2000?"

Then there is a table: "Tourists staying at least 1 night when visiting a country (in thousands)" and under Italy the figure for the year 2000 is 22,800.

The answer is multiple-choice:

Up to 20,330,000
    Up to 21,500,000
    Up to 21,670,000
    Up to 22,800,000
    Up to 20,220,000

I can click on Show result to know the right answer, but don't know how to get there... Ideas?

2. il_colonnello

il_colonnello Senior member

ok forget it, I got it... just came to me where the error in my thinking was. Solved.

3. Ducalessio

Ducalessio New Member

Sorry if I revive this extremely old thread, but I too am interested in this question, and though I too finally came up with the "correct" answer of 20330, I remain unconvinced on how and why the procedure I followed actually makes sense because it appears not to be consistent with the way I thought the question was meant to be understood.

Would you mind to share your calculations? Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT: I, too, have now understood the exact reasoning behind the solution, though the wording of the question is kind of deceitful because a very easy question involving extremely basic math turned seemingly impossible because of the objective difficulties in interpreting its meaning.

To everyone *else* out there that may be fooled by it, I'll post the (very elementary) reasoning behind the solution in a different forum, more suited to this kind of content.

I most humbly apologize for the intrusion. Greetings.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014