• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need help with fabric choice for suit

WD Stevens

Reaction score
Now, I need to start off by saying that this will not be as easy a decision as most of you will think. I have read some other threads where wool always comes out on top.

For starters, I am 16 still at high school with a part-time job so I can hardly afford Saville Row-type prices. I have decided to go with studiosuits.com as they have a good range of customisable options that I require.

However, fabric is a deep concern of mine. I am trying to get the BBC Sherlock look but I don't know what fabric to go for. The suit is black, slim-fitting with a slight sheen:

Basica

WD Stevens

Reaction score
Okay, I don't know why I didn't get the rest of my post up but here's the rest:

I want it to look and feel smooth as well. Basically, the fabrics I have to choose from on studiosuits are:

Linen (not pure linen as that racks up the price heaps)
Terry Rayon
Cotton (Chino, Twill or Stretch)
Black Merino Wool (apparently a worsted wool/polyester 50/50 mix)

Which would be the best option for me to choose? I will be wearing this outside a fair bit, usually with a coat on if cold but during Summer I will want to be wearing it out so I would like it to have a relatively long life (for something that cheap) but not be too warm that I can't wear it on a 25-degree day.

Others have said that I'm better looking for something off-the-rack but I find that it's difficult to get all the elements I want in one (slim notch lapel, one-button, centre-vent, slanted pockets).

Thank you for your advice

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just out of interest, how much are you willing to pay for the suit?

For your concern, I think the fabric choice are horrible and please don't do it

WD Stevens

Reaction score
Just out of interest, how much are you willing to pay for the suit?
For your concern, I think the fabric choice are horrible and please don't do it
Up to and including $200, I think. Though less would obviously be preferable. I've essentially already ruled out linen, rayon and cotton but would have liked second opinions. That said, I don't understand what everyone's got against polyester, especially a wool/polyester blend as I've got a 100% polyester DB jacket I bought from a thrift store for a school play back in 2008 and it looks and feels fine.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Up to and including $200, I think. Though less would obviously be preferable. I've essentially already ruled out linen, rayon and cotton but would have liked second opinions. That said, I don't understand what everyone's got against polyester, especially a wool/polyester blend as I've got a 100% polyester DB jacket I bought from a thrift store for a school play back in 2008 and it looks and feels fine.

Poly blend will become very shiny after wears, the shine will hit once you have it dry cleaned it or after the rain. And they don't breath well and frankly lack the elegance of what suiting fabric should be

If you are spending $200 on a suit, I would not bother and drop the idea until there is an event which triggers the need for a suit, and finger cross on that day you could spend more

In my opinion, the minimal amount you should spend on suit is at least £300, that will get you some decent stuff online

Last edited:

WD Stevens

Reaction score
Poly blend will become very shiny after wears, the shine will hit once you have it dry cleaned it or after the rain. And they don't breath well and frankly lack the elegance of what suiting fabric should be
If you are spending $200 on a suit, I would not bother and drop the idea until there is an event which triggers the need for a suit, and finger cross on that day you could spend more
In my opinion, the minimal amount you should spend on suit is at least £300, that will get you some decent stuff online
As a high school student I cannot justify that sort of payment for an occasional wear suit. I don't go out very often (much to the surprise at the breaking of normality of most teenagers) but when I do I like to look good. As said, I do have an array of other clothes at my disposal and this would see the light of day once or twice a month (perhaps very slightly more often during holidays).

As said with my 2008 (as well as a 2011 100% polyester 3/4 jacket that I wear quite frequently) 100% polyester jacket (which must look worse than a wool blend, I imagine), I have worn it many times and not had to dry-clean it once and it still has a good shape, movement, (lack of)smell and look of the fabric. I will be able to alternate between whatever 'suits' the occasion (and I do have a 100% wool navy pinstripe suit from a thrift store buy that I use for special occasions such as funerals and the theatre).

And, given time, until after high school the suit ought to still be in at least relatively good standing at which time I will have the money and justification for the purchase of a better quality suit.

Taking all these points into account, would this seem reasonable given my current financial situation and needs from a suit?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just scrap the whole idea.

This is one of those things you will look back upon in about 2 years and go "what was I thinking"

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a high school student I cannot justify that sort of payment for an occasional wear suit. I don't go out very often (much to the surprise at the breaking of normality of most teenagers) but when I do I like to look good. As said, I do have an array of other clothes at my disposal and this would see the light of day once or twice a month (perhaps very slightly more often during holidays).

As said with my 2008 (as well as a 2011 100% polyester 3/4 jacket that I wear quite frequently) 100% polyester jacket (which must look worse than a wool blend, I imagine), I have worn it many times and not had to dry-clean it once and it still has a good shape, movement, (lack of)smell and look of the fabric. I will be able to alternate between whatever 'suits' the occasion (and I do have a 100% wool navy pinstripe suit from a thrift store buy that I use for special occasions such as funerals and the theatre).

And, given time, until after high school the suit ought to still be in at least relatively good standing at which time I will have the money and justification for the purchase of a better quality suit.

Taking all these points into account, would this seem reasonable given my current financial situation and needs from a suit?

NO, simple as that

If I were you, I will spend on few pairs of trouser (fishtails + Braces for the dandy touch), few shirts and 1-2 colourful waistcoat, you will have more occasion to wear it and looks better than 90% of the population, given a good fit...etc

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.