• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with C&J Chelseas

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying my first pair of Chelsea boots. After having done a bit of looking around, I've become quite enamored of the Crockett & Jones Chelsea, on the 238 last.

(1) My foot sizing presents some challenges. My right foot is a 9.5D and my left is an 8E (US sizing)--essentially the same width but a fair bit less in length. With oxfords and chukkas, I've been able to compensate by lacing the left shoe a little tighter. But a chelsea boot, lace-less that it is, doesn't have this advantage. So I'm hoping those familiar with the C&J might provide a best guess as to how my feet would do.

(2) For those who are familiar with the 238 last, what can you tell me? It looks quite nice, but I haven't been able to see it in person.

(3) Any other thoughts on other Chelsea boots I should consider? I particularly like the elegant shape of the C&J, but would be willing to entertain other possibilities. My limit's around $400.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Allen Edmonds boots look quite appealing to me.
You might also look in the direction of R.M. Williams.
You could also look for a Jhodpur.
And our own Schubert or Indy Magnoli to MTM shoes.
Good Luck,
JML

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I'm thinking about buying my first pair of Chelsea boots. After having done a bit of looking around, I've become quite enamored of the Crockett & Jones Chelsea, on the 238 last.

(1) My foot sizing presents some challenges. My right foot is a 9.5D and my left is an 8E (US sizing)--essentially the same width but a fair bit less in length. With oxfords and chukkas, I've been able to compensate by lacing the left shoe a little tighter. But a chelsea boot, lace-less that it is, doesn't have this advantage. So I'm hoping those familiar with the C&J might provide a best guess as to how my feet would do.

(2) For those who are familiar with the 238 last, what can you tell me? It looks quite nice, but I haven't been able to see it in person.

(3) Any other thoughts on other Chelsea boots I should consider? I particularly like the elegant shape of the C&J, but would be willing to entertain other possibilities. My limit's around $400.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't think C&J is a good idea, as they don't make a variety of widths.

Pretty sure that nordstrom's will let you get two different sizes if your feet are more than a size apart - if so, you might be able to get the AE's appropriately sized for each foot, or at least to a better fit than you can right now.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Pretty sure that nordstrom's will let you get two different sizes if your feet are more than a size apart - if so, you might be able to get the AE's appropriately sized for each foot, or at least to a better fit than you can right now.
Nordstrom's policy is to sell you the right sized shoe for each foot as long as they're at least a size-and-a-half different--a policy that I've taken advantage of to get a couple of pairs of Allen-Edmonds and a pair of Ferragamos. But Jan Libourel help me, the AE chelsea boots just don't speak to me. As for the C&J widths, the width isn't really the problem. My feet are both about the same actual width, the real consequential difference being the length.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom's policy is to sell you the right sized shoe for each foot as long as they're at least a size-and-a-half different--a policy that I've taken advantage of to get a couple of pairs of Allen-Edmonds and a pair of Ferragamos. But Jan Libourel help me, the AE chelsea boots just don't speak to me.

As for the C&J widths, the width isn't really the problem. My feet are both about the same actual width, the real consequential difference being the length.

hmmm, are your ankle's both the same girth? if so, you might be able to get away with an UK 8.5E C&J...

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a slightly squared, not really elongated last. Sort of like a slightly rounded 606 last.

The 238 last is true to size, so your 9.5D US will be best fit by a 9E UK, in which your 8E US foot should be okay. It may crease a little funny due to the shorter length, but if the width and ankle girth are like the other foot, then it shouldn't be a problem. They are great boots, and get better with age. The only nicer chelseas I've seen are far above your price limit, like Edward Green.

rbny

Reaction score
The C&J Chelsea's on the 238 last are great looking in person. However, given the difference in your left and right foot sizes, I would stay away from C&J 238 last unless you can try them on; they tend to fit narrower feet, especially in the toe box area. I would recommend RM Williams for Chelsea style boots since they are easier to find and have a larger selection of styles/sizes/widhts. Having said all that:

-I take a UK 8.5E in the C&J238 last and find the toe area a little too narrow and binds my pinkie toe the longer I wear/walk in them. If you really want a pair, I agree with whoopee and start with the UK 9E which is equivalent to a US 9.5D. Remember that the shoe gets proportionally wider as it gets longer but the more important issue is where the widest part of your shorter foot (left) sits in relative to the widest part of the shoe.

Hope this helps.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
hmmm, are your ankle's both the same girth? if so, you might be able to get away with an UK 8.5E C&J...

They're not. The left is about a quarter of an inch less in circumference.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not. The left is about a quarter of an inch less in circumference.

Hmmm, that might make fitting more tricky. Your only grip point would be over the width or girth of the foot. You can't really count on any grip or fit around the ankles as well.

I'll agree with rbny - see if you can try them on before committing (or buy someplace that has a really generous return policy).

I think I had the 238 chelsea boot - i'm pretty sure polo had it as part of their line a few years back - they had one boot that was channelled and a different one that was stitched aloft - the stitched aloft version looks very similar to the 238 last. I ended up selling the stitched aloft version, but remember that it was fairly tight and narrow. But I'm not sure whether a half size or full size conversion was used since they were marked in US sizes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads