• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need help with C&J Chelseas

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
2,748
Reaction score
29
I'm thinking about buying my first pair of Chelsea boots. After having done a bit of looking around, I've become quite enamored of the Crockett & Jones Chelsea, on the 238 last.

(1) My foot sizing presents some challenges. My right foot is a 9.5D and my left is an 8E (US sizing)--essentially the same width but a fair bit less in length. With oxfords and chukkas, I've been able to compensate by lacing the left shoe a little tighter. But a chelsea boot, lace-less that it is, doesn't have this advantage. So I'm hoping those familiar with the C&J might provide a best guess as to how my feet would do.

(2) For those who are familiar with the 238 last, what can you tell me? It looks quite nice, but I haven't been able to see it in person.

(3) Any other thoughts on other Chelsea boots I should consider? I particularly like the elegant shape of the C&J, but would be willing to entertain other possibilities. My limit's around $400.

Thanks in advance for your help.
 

jml90

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
1,595
Reaction score
1
The new Allen Edmonds boots look quite appealing to me.
You might also look in the direction of R.M. Williams.
You could also look for a Jhodpur.
And our own Schubert or Indy Magnoli to MTM shoes.
Good Luck,
JML
 

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
134
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
I'm thinking about buying my first pair of Chelsea boots. After having done a bit of looking around, I've become quite enamored of the Crockett & Jones Chelsea, on the 238 last.

(1) My foot sizing presents some challenges. My right foot is a 9.5D and my left is an 8E (US sizing)--essentially the same width but a fair bit less in length. With oxfords and chukkas, I've been able to compensate by lacing the left shoe a little tighter. But a chelsea boot, lace-less that it is, doesn't have this advantage. So I'm hoping those familiar with the C&J might provide a best guess as to how my feet would do.

(2) For those who are familiar with the 238 last, what can you tell me? It looks quite nice, but I haven't been able to see it in person.

(3) Any other thoughts on other Chelsea boots I should consider? I particularly like the elegant shape of the C&J, but would be willing to entertain other possibilities. My limit's around $400.

Thanks in advance for your help.


I don't think C&J is a good idea, as they don't make a variety of widths.

Pretty sure that nordstrom's will let you get two different sizes if your feet are more than a size apart - if so, you might be able to get the AE's appropriately sized for each foot, or at least to a better fit than you can right now.
 

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
2,748
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
Pretty sure that nordstrom's will let you get two different sizes if your feet are more than a size apart - if so, you might be able to get the AE's appropriately sized for each foot, or at least to a better fit than you can right now.
Nordstrom's policy is to sell you the right sized shoe for each foot as long as they're at least a size-and-a-half different--a policy that I've taken advantage of to get a couple of pairs of Allen-Edmonds and a pair of Ferragamos. But Jan Libourel help me, the AE chelsea boots just don't speak to me. As for the C&J widths, the width isn't really the problem. My feet are both about the same actual width, the real consequential difference being the length.
 

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
134
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Nordstrom's policy is to sell you the right sized shoe for each foot as long as they're at least a size-and-a-half different--a policy that I've taken advantage of to get a couple of pairs of Allen-Edmonds and a pair of Ferragamos. But Jan Libourel help me, the AE chelsea boots just don't speak to me.

As for the C&J widths, the width isn't really the problem. My feet are both about the same actual width, the real consequential difference being the length.



hmmm, are your ankle's both the same girth? if so, you might be able to get away with an UK 8.5E C&J...
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
It's a slightly squared, not really elongated last. Sort of like a slightly rounded 606 last.

The 238 last is true to size, so your 9.5D US will be best fit by a 9E UK, in which your 8E US foot should be okay. It may crease a little funny due to the shorter length, but if the width and ankle girth are like the other foot, then it shouldn't be a problem. They are great boots, and get better with age. The only nicer chelseas I've seen are far above your price limit, like Edward Green.
 

rbny

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
119
Reaction score
0
The C&J Chelsea's on the 238 last are great looking in person. However, given the difference in your left and right foot sizes, I would stay away from C&J 238 last unless you can try them on; they tend to fit narrower feet, especially in the toe box area. I would recommend RM Williams for Chelsea style boots since they are easier to find and have a larger selection of styles/sizes/widhts. Having said all that:

-I take a UK 8.5E in the C&J238 last and find the toe area a little too narrow and binds my pinkie toe the longer I wear/walk in them. If you really want a pair, I agree with whoopee and start with the UK 9E which is equivalent to a US 9.5D. Remember that the shoe gets proportionally wider as it gets longer but the more important issue is where the widest part of your shorter foot (left) sits in relative to the widest part of the shoe.

Hope this helps.
 

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2003
Messages
2,748
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
hmmm, are your ankle's both the same girth? if so, you might be able to get away with an UK 8.5E C&J...

They're not. The left is about a quarter of an inch less in circumference.
 

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
134
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
They're not. The left is about a quarter of an inch less in circumference.

Hmmm, that might make fitting more tricky. Your only grip point would be over the width or girth of the foot. You can't really count on any grip or fit around the ankles as well.

I'll agree with rbny - see if you can try them on before committing (or buy someplace that has a really generous return policy).

I think I had the 238 chelsea boot - i'm pretty sure polo had it as part of their line a few years back - they had one boot that was channelled and a different one that was stitched aloft - the stitched aloft version looks very similar to the 238 last. I ended up selling the stitched aloft version, but remember that it was fairly tight and narrow. But I'm not sure whether a half size or full size conversion was used since they were marked in US sizes.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,241
Messages
9,231,026
Members
193,770
Latest member
Alex2045
Top