• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with bespoke fitting (pants and jacket)

daveinmiami

Reaction score
So I ordered some bespoke pants from a tailor in Miami who did a solid job on a blazer I purchased about a year ago. We're having some difficulties with the pants, though. We are still in the fitting process but seem to have hit a snag after a couple of fittings because there's a lot of creasing in the back of the pants (see attached photo) and so far they haven't been able to figure out the cause. I don't know anything about tailoring but from browsing this forum and reviewing this thread (https://www.styleforum.net/threads/on-pants.177616/) it seems to me that some of the creasing might be in the nature of "horseshoe folds" (although the creasing on my pants is lower down on the leg rather than towards the seat). And from reading that thread and others, it seems that the problem may be due to the tailor not accounting for my very straight posture in cutting the fabric, and that the pants need to be longer in the front and shorter in the back in order to correct for my posture. If anybody knows about these sort of problems and how to fix them, I'd appreciate some advice so I can pass it along to the tailor.

I'm also hoping for some advice about a jacket that this tailor didn't make, but is trying to salvage (a "made-to-measure" tailor made it about a year ago). The double vent sticks out very noticeably, extending outward both to the sides and the back (see attached). It looks awful and the new tailor has tried several fixes (including partly sewing the vent shut, as reflected in these pictures) with no luck. Have any of you confronted this problem in the past? If you have any idea what the problem and solution might be, I'd be grateful for your thoughts. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20190619_193655.jpg
    20190619_193655.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190619_193703.jpg
    20190619_193703.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190619_200736.jpg
    20190619_200736.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190619_200801.jpg
    20190619_200801.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 20190619_200819.jpg
    20190619_200819.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 69

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These are not serious questions.....are they?

Anachronist

Reaction score
At least the slacks appear to be too tight around the hips and derrière which could be part of the problem because this causes the fabric to be pulled in under the buttocks and not drape properly

Ben W

Reaction score
Where is the waistband currently sitting on you? At the navel, or below? Hard to tell from your photos. If it is lower than your navel I'd suggest having it brought up. You also have another issue: the pockets on the pants jutting out, instead of laying flat. There is a lot going on here. Not being a tailor I have trouble pinpointing the fixes, but I think generally raising the waistband and letting out the crotch may help some.

daveinmiami

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. The waistband is just barely below the navel (i.e., where I normally wear it) in the pictures. You're right that the pants were too tight in the butt area so the tailor is going to let that out somewhat and we'll see how much that helps. I'm still thinking the fabric may have been cut for more of a slouched posture but will report back if letting out the seat area doesn't help. In the meantime, would welcome any other thoughts people might have. Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads