• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with a suit for a sorority formal!

wolfjaw

Reaction score
Like the title says i need help with a suit. The girl i'm going with is wearing a white dress, once a prom dress that was hemmed down for this. I got as far as deciding not to wear a black suit, pretty much ever, but nothing was specific enough for my problem. So what's your advice?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Mudhiker

Reaction score

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With those specifications about the only thing that can be said is: Make sure the suit fits you. Above and beyond that, there are an almost infinite number of questions to be answered before your question can be answered. Here are some:

1. What color suits do you like?
2. Does she have something specific she wants you to wear?
3. How formal is this formal? If it's black/white tie, you're headed entirely the wrong direction.
4. What suits do you own?
5. What color suits look good on you?
6. Do you want to wear a waist coat?

There are a ton more that could be done. That said, I'm sure a safe stock answer would be a navy or charcoal w/ faint pinstripe, white shirt, brown belt/shoes, Tie and socks of your choosing, and a white linen pocket square in TV fold.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mudhiker
Black Tie Guide.

/Thread

That is assuming that the sorority means by formal what we mean by formal. If so, then yes. If not, then obviously the standards of Americas fraternal and sororital orders has fallen drastically.

pvrhye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
That is assuming that the sorority means by formal what we mean by formal. If so, then yes. If not, then obviously the standards of Americas fraternal and sororital orders has fallen drastically.

True, if it were really formal he'd be in tails.

Mudhiker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth

Nonetheless, wearing traditional Black Tie is a safe bet.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are y'all seriously telling him to wear a tuxedo to a sorority formal?

Reconnect with reality, lads.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pvrhye
I never got invited to any sorority formals, but how informal is "formal"?

I personally avoided greek life at all costs.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a bunch of 19 year olds looking to get drunk, how formal do you think it is?

wolfjaw

Reaction score
wow thanks guys that was quick. and witty. i'll check out the black tie thread!

wolfjaw

Reaction score
it's clearly not a thread, still interesting though. and whateveryoulike is probably right about this, but i'm not sure, i should probably inquire further.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
It's a bunch of 19 year olds looking to get drunk, how formal do you think it is?

All depends upon whether their puking up Natty Ice or Don Perignon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads