• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help with a quick wardrobe update

Sammyman

Reaction score
Hello folks. I'm new to posting, but I've been lurking for a while. Here's my dilema: I've started a new job and need a quick update to my wardrobe. For the past five years, I've been in a basic IT job, ie. cords and sweaters. I've just started a new job as an IT consultant and I need to quickly update my wardrobe. A suit's too formal considering the clients that I'll be working with. I'm considering a sportscoat, but I have no idea where to start. I've got quite a few dress pants, in taupe, khaki olive and various shades of grey. Dress shirts and ties to match are covered. What would you recomend as a first jacket to get? Due to some recent weight loss, my basic blue blazer now fits like a sack. Would my money be best spent getting a better fitting blazer, or would you have some better suggestions? I'm 5'8", 170lbs with a 44" chest and 36" waist, dark brown hair and medium complexion if that matters
wink.gif
I'd like to get the most for my money, which translates to under $1000 Cdn. Looking forward to your suggestions, as this is the best style forum I've found. Thanks in advance.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy a few used Oxxford blazers on Ebay -- one in black; one in blue; and one in beige. With leftover $, buy some new or used Edward Green, Alden or Allen Edmonds loafers. Ebay has some great deals on all three of these makes. Also consider buying some some nice shirts, such as Lorenzini, Borrelli, Barney's, etc.

Sammyman

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.
There's a great consignment store down the street from me, perhaps I'll check it out.
The $1000 budget really was for one good piece, I'll be updating over time but perhaps it's time to kick my "new or nothing" attitude and get much more for my money.

stache

Reaction score
A tweed would also serve you well as you can find one with your trouser colors in it. Versatile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics