1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need help with a quick wardrobe update

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sammyman, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Sammyman

Sammyman Member

Hello folks. I'm new to posting, but I've been lurking for a while. Here's my dilema: I've started a new job and need a quick update to my wardrobe. For the past five years, I've been in a basic IT job, ie. cords and sweaters. I've just started a new job as an IT consultant and I need to quickly update my wardrobe. A suit's too formal considering the clients that I'll be working with. I'm considering a sportscoat, but I have no idea where to start. I've got quite a few dress pants, in taupe, khaki olive and various shades of grey. Dress shirts and ties to match are covered. What would you recomend as a first jacket to get? Due to some recent weight loss, my basic blue blazer now fits like a sack. Would my money be best spent getting a better fitting blazer, or would you have some better suggestions? I'm 5'8", 170lbs with a 44" chest and 36" waist, dark brown hair and medium complexion if that matters [​IMG] I'd like to get the most for my money, which translates to under $1000 Cdn. Looking forward to your suggestions, as this is the best style forum I've found. Thanks in advance.

2. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

Buy a few used Oxxford blazers on Ebay -- one in black; one in blue; and one in beige. With leftover $, buy some new or used Edward Green, Alden or Allen Edmonds loafers. Ebay has some great deals on all three of these makes. Also consider buying some some nice shirts, such as Lorenzini, Borrelli, Barney's, etc.

3. Sammyman

Sammyman Member

Thanks for the tips.
    There's a great consignment store down the street from me, perhaps I'll check it out.
    The $1000 budget really was for one good piece, I'll be updating over time but perhaps it's time to kick my "new or nothing" attitude and get much more for my money.

4. stache

stache Senior Member

A tweed would also serve you well as you can find one with your trouser colors in it. Versatile.