• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need help with a DSLR camera

RicPac

Reaction score
im looking to get into the world of photography, just for fun and family stuff since they still believe in disposables, whats a good entry level camera?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
there's been a ton of these. do a search.

get a canon g12 or something small. not a dslr. the market is rapidly moving away from entry level DSLRs to raw shooting compact cameras. they offer all the versatility of traditional DSLRs only in a much more compact form.

trust me you don't really want to be carrying around a clunky DSLR on trips and sightseeing etc.

in 10, 20 years i can see people dropping the entry level stuff altogether as phones will have much better cameras.

fwiw you can control aperture and shutter speed on an iphone. the lens is pretty wide at f/2.2 and image quality is decent.

a camera is whatever. not the most important decision to make. new **** always coming in. you should prolly just take a photography class and learn that way. learning black and white photography and manually developing pictures will help you understand light, textures, and what exactly you need your camera to do to take the picture you want.

if I had money I'd go with a sony nex-7 or wait for the fuji x-10. otherwise canon s95 and panasonic lx5 for pocketable cameras. g12 for greater versatility in a much more comfortable body

Last edited:

RicPac

Reaction score
about 500 is my limit, i likee that g12

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you want it for people shots? If so you will want a camera that offers shallow depth of field so you can get a nice blur on your background (google shallow depth of field if you want to see examples.) the other thing you should consider is the ability to add an external flash to the camera - it makes a TREMENDOUS difference (but of course, that's a clunky expensive additions down the road.)

I have a s95 which is the best camera of its size on the market - but am looking to upgrade because it's not ideal for people shots for the two reasons noted above.

The Fuji X10 is $600 and ticks all the boxes - really fun camera, good if you want to learn to manually take pictures. Canon also has a replacement to the G12 coming out next month called the G1 X which meets the same criteria, but the price will start @ $800.

but don't rule out an entry level DSLR - you can spend $500 and but the body with one lens for now, get terrific results that will beat 90% of the compact competition - and if you really get into it later, you have unlimited flexibility for upgrading later.

Last edited:

aanix

Reaction score
there's been a ton of these. do a search.
get a canon g12 or something small. not a dslr. the market is rapidly moving away from entry level DSLRs to raw shooting compact cameras. they offer all the versatility of traditional DSLRs only in a much more compact form.
trust me you don't really want to be carrying around a clunky DSLR on trips and sightseeing etc.
in 10, 20 years i can see people dropping the entry level stuff altogether as phones will have much better cameras.
fwiw you can control aperture and shutter speed on an iphone. the lens is pretty wide at f/2.2 and image quality is decent.
a camera is whatever. not the most important decision to make. new **** always coming in. you should prolly just take a photography class and learn that way. learning black and white photography and manually developing pictures will help you understand light, textures, and what exactly you need your camera to do to take the picture you want.
if I had money I'd go with a sony nex-7 or wait for the fuji x-10. otherwise canon s95 and panasonic lx5 for pocketable cameras. g12 for greater versatility in a much more comfortable body

Entry level DSLRs are tiny, lightweight and perfect for experimenting more with photography. They have more adjustable settings and take better quality photos. Plus you can experiment with all sorts of lenses when using a DSLR

Also the best way to learn photography is not to have some failed professional photographer force feed a bunch of idiotic photographic rules down your throat. Experiment, and teach yourself.

Canon, Nikon and Sony all have entry level cameras for serious amateurs, you just need to find that section on each of their websites and find the one you prefer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads