• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help w/ Camera Lens for D40

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OK, so I am a very amateur photographer. I'm hoping some of the photography gurus of SF can give me a hand.

I have a Nikon D40 which takes very nice photos, but I am an idiot at using it. I'm an always-in-full-auto-mode kind of guy. Still, I have something of an interest in photography, and would like to learn more. I'm finding as I take more photos, I am starting to realize some of the shortcomings of my lens and technique.

Right now I use a Sigma lens with a pretty massive telephoto - I think it's a 28-300mm. But I am really finding the thing is awful in less than full light. All my indoor photos end up with a yellowish tinge unless I turn on the flash, which is really harsh and glaring.

I'm having a baby soon, and would really like a nice lens I could use for basic indoor portraiture and fun shots - I guess I'm thinking 28-55mm or so - that lets in a lot more light than this current lens. Or should I just invest in an outboard flash?

I'd gladly accept technique advice, too.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A good flash is essential. I think the top nikon flash is the sbs-800 or something similar to that. Having said that, a good lens is important too. I'm guessing the sigma starts at a fairly high f-value. I'd want 2.8 or better. I don't really know the nikon lens lineup though.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a flash that doesn't make indoor portraits look horrible?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got a D40 though I hardly use it.

If you are going to use just one lens, the D40 kit lens, 18-55mm, is particularly rated highly. I also went ahead and bought a 55-200mm Nikon 55-200 AFS VR lens.

The best lens is supposedly thought to be the Nikon 18-200 AFS VR by many D40 enthusiasts. That would allow you to use just one lens for just about any situation. It's a little pricey though at about $500+ used and about $799 MSRP.

Here's a link to Rockwell's Nikon site. There's a lot of useful stuff on it, including a free guide to D40 use.

In short, the basic kit lens is economical and probably your best bet ( I've seen them for under $100), The lens you are using now is probably great for sports shooting in bright light but is definitely not an all around lens, Also as you probably know ( read Rockwell's website ), the D40 doesn't have it's own internal auto focus motor, so you have to buy newer Nikon's newer lens's or comparable lens's that have their own auto focus motor. Does your Sigma telephoto lens auto focus?

Here's something on the 18-55 mm Nikon lens.

dhc905

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the 18-200 VR, great lens although at 3.5f it isn't fantastic indoors in little light, particularly if you want to zoom in. If you think you're only going to be shooting indoors, a 50mm 2.8f (about $300) or 1.8f (much more) will give you great indoor pics (esp portaits) even in lower light situations.

That said, a flash is pretty damn key. I have the SB-80dx, which works fine for every situation I've been in.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I worked in a camera shop (Central Camera Chicago) during high school and used my discounts to build a good range of Nikon lenses. The big thing for me was low minimum f. stop. It makes a huge difference. This can get pretty expensive when you add a lot of lenses, but you could always start with something like a 28mm f 2.8 nikkor.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...AF_Nikkor.html

As for the flash, the built in probably sucks. The built-in on the D80 is adequate, but I use an old SB-28 flash from back in the day. Maybe you can get a deal on a used flash.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For indoor, no flash, portrait lens, few are better in terms of value than the prime Nikon 50mm f/1.4d lens. It's around $250 on fleabay new. Its cheaper, and slower brother is the 50mm f/1.8d, which is around $100. The only downside is that both of these lenses are fixed, so you'll have to move back and forth to get the frame right. Personally, I'm using a 18-105mm VR from the new D90 kit as a walk-around lens. But not so great in low light situations without the flash.

milosh

Reaction score
You should check out both the Sigma 18-50 HSM 2.8 and the Tamron 17-50 2.8. There is also the Nikkor 17-55 2.8 but for the price of it you could get either the Tamron or the Sigma plus the Sigma 50-150 HSM 2.8. You should check out photozone.de for reviews of lenses mentioned here.

The 50 1.8 Nikon is a great value.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is the best option for a normal (40-50mm) lens.

Any of the longer Nikons - 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 105/2 are good for low-light portraits.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosh
You should check out both the Sigma 18-50 HSM 2.8 and the Tamron 17-50 2.8. There is also the Nikkor 17-55 2.8 but for the price of it you could get either the Tamron or the Sigma plus the Sigma 50-150 HSM 2.8. You should check out photozone.de for reviews of lenses mentioned here.

The 50 1.8 Nikon is a great value.

Originally Posted by milosz
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is the best option for a normal (40-50mm) lens.

Any of the longer Nikons - 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 105/2 are good for low-light portraits.

Are you two related?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Is there such a thing as a flash that doesn't make indoor portraits look horrible?

Yes. Most good flashes you can swivel and tilt, so you can bounce light around instead of pointing it at your subject directly. It makes a huge difference.

milosh

Reaction score
^^- I'm pretty sure we're not.
smile.gif

Chiaroscuro

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

No, but thats why you have diffusers.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of "interesting" information here.

I have a D40, and I'm somewhat of a camera enthusiast. I've read books about exposure, composition, and follow the Nikon message boards. I bought the D40 for the very same purpose, to take photos of my child to be.

Since most of the photos you plan to take will be indoors, I highly recommend a external flash. This will increase your image quality much more than any new lens. The most basic external flash from Nikon is called the SB 400. It is an exceptional value, small, light and has bounce capability. It is completely idiot proof and will give you great captures right out of the box. The next step up is the SB 600, which is much larger and heavier, but more versatile. For instance, you can bounce the flash when you're shooting in portrait and you can also bounce behind you - two features that the SB 400 does not have. (GQGeek, FYI the SB 800 has been discontinued, the new top of the line flash is the SB 900).

With respect to the other posters, an ultra wide aperature lens is not going to be much help. First, the OP shots in full auto. Second, in low light, he'll have no choice but to shoot wide open, which will give him little depth of field. Literally, you'll get shots where your baby's ear is in focus, but the face is not.

Finally, if you do get a new lens, make sure it is compatable with the D40. Nikon lenses will have AF-S in the title somewhere. Otherwise, you may end up with a lens that will not autofocus on the D40 body. I would also recommend a lens that has VR (vibration reduction).

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most flash-looking pictures are caused by the flash being on the camera right above the lens. If you want better looking flash pictures, move the flash off the camera, and learn more about balancing your flash's light vs. the ambient light instead of depending solely on your camera's exposure computer. There's a very useful and fascinating blog devoted entirely to this:

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads