Need Help! Suit for Interviews/New Job

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lawstudent2012, Aug 19, 2012.

1. lawstudent2012

lawstudent2012 New Member

Hi,

I'm in my third year of law school and I'm going to be starting interviews for jobs and potentially starting work at a new law firm.

I really need a new suit, but don't have a very large budget, being a student and all.

I have no idea where to start looking for suits. I looked locally, but couldn't find anything good for a reasonable price. I just saw a place called Charles Tyrwhitt online, and was wondering if you guys had any opinions on the place. Or, if you knew of anything similar.

I live in Canada, but go back and forth to New York City quite often...

My budget for a suit would be around $500.

Thanks!

2. TheStormnMormon

TheStormnMormon Well-Known Member

Granted, you're in Canada, I honestly live by Nordstrom Rack and Saks Off Fifth. I've also heard mention of Neiman Marcus Last Call, and I love me some NM, so Last Call sounds like it'd be fun.

Also, as long as you know how to pick out a suit, I don't see why you can't find something serviceable from (preparing for the possibility of major butthurt,) Jos. A. Banks or Men's Warehouse. For $500, you could come away with a few good looking suits and be on a fast track to building a nice rotation. Worry about the pricier labels later, eh?

Good luck with school, though. Making it to the third year, I doubt you need luck, though. Enjoy!

Edit:

Also, while I'm on the topic of "low-end" suiting, why not look at a TJ Maxx/Marshall's or equivalent store? I've seen plenty of fun-looking Tallia Orange and some (again, prepping for the butthurt) Canadian-made Lauren Ralph Lauren suits (think tan or navy 6x2 DB) that I wouldn't mind picking up for myself.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

4. TheStormnMormon

TheStormnMormon Well-Known Member

5. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

I would not recommend Charles Tyrwhitt for suits. I would have thought you would want a better quality suit for interviews.

6. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I will buy one suitsupply suit, wear it everyday and save some money to get a couple good suits later.