• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help shopping for sunglasses

bonoz

Reaction score
Should I shop for them online? Because I like to put it on and see how I look in them. What are some good stores/websites to checkout? I live in America, btw.

I like a really classic, cool, subtle, simple, look. I don't care for sporty, fashionable, blingy, huge, glasses.

Here are some images that could help you identify my style:
sunglasses.jpg

jared-leto-sleeveless-sexy-03.jpg

0030.jpg

4565726219_9946d45575_z.jpg

5219976737_f8519736b8.jpg

I have a sort of a ovalish/squarish/roundish face. I feel like I should go for the traditional aviators, but when I try them on they feel too big/long for my face. I know Raybans have shorter aviators as well.

Well what do you guys suggest? Can anyone find me frames that are identical to any of the above?

Thanks

Richie418

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Look at some persols, or oliver peoples.

Agree with the oliver peoples rec, I have 2 pairs myself. I would however not buy online as you really need to evaluate the way they look and feel prior to making a purchase. Spending a few bucks on a high quality pair is well worth it in the long run.

bonoz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno
Find a company with an amazing hassle free return policy - then use it
smile.gif

Do you know of any?

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, I've found Ray Bans to be best. Persols are too small for my fat head. If you want to step up in terms of the quality, try Tom Ford, he has fantastic sunglasses. Finally, I'm a fan of the Dior Homme sunglasses, but these are a little more esoteric.

Try them on in person. Don't be lazy.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of Rayban Wayfarers. I went in fully expecting to buy Aviators, but I tried a pair on at the suggestion of the salesperson, and thought they looked pretty good.

May want to try 'em.

Also, I'd buy sunglasses from a sunglasses company, not a clothing label.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try RayBan Techs 8301 56/14, these dont have the teardrop shape like the classic aviators. I also tried the Aviators and had similar issues of them looking to big. If you're set on Aviators try the RB3025 in 55mm (smallest lens size).

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Persol 2913 at Neiman Marcus, I have a fat head and these are outstanding glasses and classic looking
persol2913s2431.jpg

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads