• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help regarding wedding tuxedos! Thanks

Ryanah

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm getting married at the end of May and would appreciate any assistance in finding a tuxedo. I'm looking for a classic, slim fitting black tuxedo, price range $500-$1K. From what I've read on the forums, peaked lapels are ideal. I'm 6'2", 175 lb.

I was originally going to purchase the Men's Warehouse Vera Wang black tuxedo, but after trying it on in person, wasn't thrilled with the fit/quality of the tuxedo.

I'm also considering the JCrew tuxedo (https://www.jcrew.com/c/mens_special_shops/tuxedoshop) but have read that the quality does not match the price.

Finally, what are everyone's thoughts on the suitshop tuxedo (http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/eveningwear_package/tuxedo-black-plain/P1199I.html?cgid=Eveningwear_Package)?

I really appreciate any assistance. In the end, I want a classic appearing, well fitting tuxedo. Due to my line of work, I have very limited time off (3 days/month) and also live in Alabama (which makes things difficult to find a tux).

Thanks,
Ryan

Simplex

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions:

Budget, does that include shirt, shoes, tie, waist covering, etc?

What time of day? Actual venue? If you'll be outside, you'll want a partial lined jacket.

Personally, I went MTM and I'd advise the same. However, SuitSupply would be my choice from your options.

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions:

Budget, does that include shirt, shoes, tie, waist covering, etc?

What time of day? Actual venue? If you'll be outside, you'll want a partial lined jacket.

Personally, I went MTM and I'd advise the same. However, SuitSupply would be my choice from your options.
The budget question is a critical one as all the other bits and bobs add up. By way of example, my tuxedo was an OTR Samuelsohn jacket and pants in a very classic 1B peak grosgrain lapel, which made up about 1/3 of the total cost. Prices are give or take a little bit (but not much), and in $CDN. All items were bought at various stores in Toronto, except for the shirt and studs which were from the UK.

Jacket/Pants (Samuelsohn) - $560
Shirt + Studs (TM Lewin) - $160
Suspenders (Thurston) - $130
Vest (Brooks Brothers) - $210
Bow Tie (Dion) - $85
Shoes + trees (Loding) - $375
Alterations (local tailor) - $200

Pre-tax total - $1720.

You can knock $100 off the alterations which was shortening the jacket, and can likely do better in price on some of the items, but the bottom line is the jacket and pants are just the start of putting together a proper, classic tuxedo.

Last edited:

Ryanah

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

My budget is $500-$1k for the tuxedo alone. The wedding is in the late afternoon and its in San Diego. A part of the wedding is outdoors.

Appreciate the help.

Ryan

RaggedyDandy

Reaction score
A "tuxedo" is essentially all the parts I have listed above (though you can swap a cummerbund for the vest, but the price difference isn't huge in the overall outlay).

Note that on the Suit Supply one you linked to, the lapels appear to be grosgrain (a finely ribbed silk). Your tie should match, either as grosgrain or faille. I would avoid a satin-finish bow tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads