• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help: Recommend me a beer.......

ScottMan

Reaction score
I really enjoy Belgian strong dark ales with cigars but they are not hoppy at all. They have more dark fruit notes and some have an alcohol finish that stands up well to cigars. Some of my favorites are Koningshoeven Quad and Unibroue Terrible.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought a case of Arrogant bastard today. Big and complex but I still prefer the DFH 90 IPA. Apparently, PA distributors can only sell full cases so noone around has singles of 120 and a case is serious bucks. Looking to try some of the other recs you guys made in a week or so. Probably racer 5 as its readily available around here.

DL

killua

Reaction score
I though people generally drink single malk whiskey when smoking a cigar.

As for beer, I usually drink Aussie beer and don't smoke so I'm probably not much help. However, if you get a chance to drink the pale ale by Little Creatures that would be my recommendation.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I've discovered some 6-pack shops in Lancaster that have some decent selections of craft beer which has made sampling a bit easier.

The stone arrogant bastard ale has been a winner for me but I'm still stuck on the DFH options. havent yet found a contender for the 90 min IPA. Bought a bottle of Black and Blue that was excellent yet a bit inconvenient given its 10% abv and 750 serving bottle. Raison D' etre and Indian brown ale were both outstanding in my estimation, very different from the IPA's I've tried but tasty on a different level.
Just finished a Sam Adams Imperial White that was terrible. Strong notes of overripe, nearly rotten bananas and the alcohol taste was noticable as well.

Going to get some racer5 and hop slam this week to try. Local shop also carries singles of pliney the younger which I'm going to try out as well.

Thanks for the recs again,
DL

Oh, I've also had the beer craft radio podcasts playing in the background while at work, great resource ed.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Any suggestions for craft beers . . . [f]ull bodied, high alcohol with some good complexity?

North Coast Brewing Company's Old Rasputin. Dark rich complex beer. Fantastic and high in alcohol.

happy hooligan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Stone arrogant bastard ale/ oaked arrogant bastard ale. Really solid beers with great depth to them. If you look hard enough you can find Arrogant bastard aged in bourbon barrels which I have heard is off the charts.

I bought a six pack of oaked AB and it is unbelievable! I have one bottle left that I'm saving. It is absolutely fantastic.

happy hooligan

Reaction score
one great rich full bodied smooth as ell' beer is actually an Ale, a Brown Ale from Avery.

Called Ellie's Brown Ale.

Beats or equals goose island.

it's the best brown ale I've tasted, and I've tasted quite a few...

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, it's fantastic. My local liquor store has 6 packs of of oaked arrogant bastard which I have been meaning to snag but at $17.99 it kind of off putting.

happy hooligan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Yea, it's fantastic. My local liquor store has 6 packs of of oaked arrogant bastard which I have been meaning to snag but at $17.99 it kind of off putting.

it's liek $15.00 here in souther CA...

I'm going to Stone this sunday.... can't wait...

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I envy you.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How has no one not recommended Victory or Stoudt's yet with the OP in PA.

Victory -
Prima Pils
Hop Wallop
Storm King

Stoudt's
Double IPA (from Big Beer Series)
American Pale Ale

BWB

Reaction score
kasteel quadruple.

kasteel.JPG

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I bought, Fantome Sasion .

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vaclava krishna
Today I bought, Fantome Sasion .

That is a great summer beer.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
How has no one not recommended Victory or Stoudt's yet with the OP in PA. Victory - Prima Pils Hop Wallop Storm King Stoudt's Double IPA (from Big Beer Series) American Pale Ale
Thanks for the tip pscolari. I've tried victory's hop devil and hop wallop but not the others. I'll add em to the list. I should be attending AA pretty regularly by the end of the summer. I'm pretty sure the guy at the distributor thinks I'm a wyno based on the amount of beer I buy and the frequency I'm in there. I guess most people finish what they buy before buying more but I like to accumulate. DL

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads