• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need help putting together an outfit

modagg

Reaction score
yeah so i got this thing to go to with my girl. this is her dress
. she wants me to match my shirt to her dress and to be honest im not too good with green. i dont want to do the boring black suit but i i think i may be stuck unless u guys have some ideas. im up for anything as long as the shirt matches the dress.

southbound35

Reaction score
I think you'd have much more luck finding a tie to match her dress than finding a shirt to match. Try to sell her on that idea.

blueguitar322

Reaction score
What type of event is this? A high school homecoming? College sorority dinner? Year-end business celebration? And what is the expected formality? I'm guessing from her dress that it's not black tie...

My best guess (and I'm not as savvy as most guys on this forum) would be a black suit, white shirt with nice details (maybe French cuffs), and a tie that matches the green in her dress.

Btw, Black suits can be anything but boring. In fact, there's only really five or so color families that suits come in: black, navy, grey, brown, and tan/camel. Just because we men have those relative color limitations, there's an infinite number of possibilities for shirts, ties, accessories (cuffs, watches, pocket squares, tie clips, etc).

Anyways, out of those five suit possibilities, I think black would match her dress the best. If you don't want to be "boring", then pick shirt/tie/accessories that will match her well yet set you apart from the other guys there.

Although, FWIW and I'm an old-school romantic, when it comes to formal events I've always liked the idea that the man is the picture frame and the lady is the picture...

Dave

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is for a high school dance where people will be dressed like this:

unknown92wp.jpg

Administer advice accordingly.

ineffable

Reaction score
I'm guessing this is for some sort of highschool formal.. If that is the case, i would go for a black suit, white dress shirt (no tie, top button undone), black shoes (something not too formal, even a loafer would work, and would probably be best) and a pocket square that is either a) white with a green lining, or b) a matching green with some sort of detailing that is tonal. I think this type of look is the best for your scenario.

If you give more of an idea of what you've got in your wardrobe and how much you have to spend, that might get more specific answers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads