• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help Picking Out Tie

blake11

Reaction score
Rehearsal dinner for my wedding is in a few weeks. Trying to pick out a shirt tie combo.

Wearing this suit - medium grey color: http://store-us.hugoboss.com/amaro-...l&cgid=21001#!color=022_Dark-Grey&size=US_36R

Was thinking this shirt: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/nordstr...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-2_8_C

With this tie: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/yves-sa...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_6_C

What do you all think? Any recs for a good shirt/tie combo or a better tie to go with my suit/shirt combo? Thanks

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie reminds me of the carpet in my Hyundai. Shirt is trying too hard. They really don't go together. Wear a white shirt and a tie that means something to you. Don't have a meaningful tie? Buy something conservatively patterned, in silk, in a nice deep color.

blake11

Reaction score
Tie reminds me of the carpet in my Hyundai. Shirt is trying too hard. They really don't go together. Wear a white shirt and a tie that means something to you. Don't have a meaningful tie? Buy something conservatively patterned, in silk, in a nice deep color.

Thanks. Understand the comment that it reminds you of carpet, but how is the shirt trying to hard? And I would prefer not to wear a white shirt, although I appreciate the opinion.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks.  Understand the comment that it reminds you of carpet, but how is the shirt trying to hard?  And I would prefer not to wear a white shirt, although I appreciate the opinion.

Why not wear a white shirt? It will look better than any other option by far IMHO. If you're really set against it, stripes are the next most formal pattern for a shirt. These might be alright (sticking to nordstrom since you seem to like them):

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/nordstr...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_8_B

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/john-w-...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_7_B

Then get a tie like this:

http://www.kentwang.com/ties/pindot-navy.html

(sorry ran out of patience trying to find a decent tie on the nordstrom site)

rob

Reaction score
The shirt you linked is typically spring/summer casual shirt. I assume the wedding will be more formal and white will be most appropriate. If you really want/need to go blue, you should pick a solid light blue shirt with a spread collar (perhaps contrasting white collar and cuffs) and consider adding double cuffs.

For a tie, you should look to a more traditional wedding tie. Do a search on the site for some examples.

Congratulations and best to you and your bride.

Rob

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like unbelragazzo said, only I would recommend the darker gray suit with the white shirt and the small-print-on-dark-ground tie.

Rehearsal dinner says evening, so dark suit, light (probably white) shirt, darker tie. Nothing black except perhaps socks and belt/shoes, but keep it simple. Try to make it elegant. You'll be (half) the center of attention, regardless of what you wear.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The shirt you linked is typically spring/summer casual shirt. I assume the wedding will be more formal and white will be most appropriate. If you really want/need to go blue, you should pick a solid light blue shirt with a spread collar (perhaps contrasting white collar and cuffs) and consider adding double cuffs.

For a tie, you should look to a more traditional wedding tie. Do a search on the site for some examples.

Congratulations and best to you and your bride.

Rob

This is for the rehearsal dinner, not the wedding itself, so no wedding tie needed. Some may say no wedding tie allowed, as this is an evening, non-wedding event, and wedding ties are for teh daywear, but I don't think we need to get that technical here. A wedding tie would be fine, but no extra points for it.

blake11

Reaction score
Interesting. A lot of -1's for the shirt. Now I'm started to re think everything... This is what I wore to the last wedding we attended. Anything wrong with it (ignore the tie fold, this was late in the evening). Is something like that completely wrong for our rehearsal dinner? It will not be super formal.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's not "wrong" in that people will think you're an idiot. It's very JCrew/GQ. You'd never see Cary Grant or Humphrey Bogart in something like that though, and that's more where the taste of most of the people on this forum leans. Even the Duke of Windsor, a style icon who used patterns a lot, would wear a shirt like that with a more casual, patterned suit, as in this famous photo (you can tell from the photo that he's in the countryside, not in the city for some formal event):

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like trying too hard because it isn't the path of least resistance. With a suit, for a formal occasion, wearing a casual shirt is like saying "I'm laidback and hip" -- and while laidback and hip are fine things to be, if you need to say you're something, you ain't it.

There's a little too much color in the last photo you posted. It's a little too "fratty southerner" for my taste.

Punjabjat

Reaction score
I like the suit and shirt...not a fan of the tie...I'd even go orange patterned to make the shirt pop...

blake11

Reaction score
For clarity, the suit is the same as the one in my picture above.

blake11

Reaction score
bump for any other thoughts and/or good shirt/tie combos for the suit shown above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads