• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help picking first blazer/sport coat

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm 20 years old and starting an internship at a financial services firm in San Francisco in 2 weeks. The dress code is business casual so I need a blazer or sport coat. I made a thread about picking my other pieces of clothing here but I thought it may be better to make a thread just for the jacket. I've never had a non-suit jacket before so I'm not sure what to go with. To repeat, the environment is San Francisco in the springtime. I would also like to be able to work this when going out at night. Based on searching the forums, these three seem to be the main choices: 1. Navy Blazer, probably with the gold buttons replaced so as not to seem too tacky. I'm hesitant about this one considering my age. 2. Tropical wool herringbone sport coat in some shade of brown. 3. Same as #2 but in medium-gray to be able to wear with charcoal pants. Which one should I go with? Also, I'm looking for store suggestions where I can get one in two weeks. Looking to pay under $400-500. Thanks for the help.

ns7

Reaction score
Agree on the navy, it's a staple.

After you get this one, you can build your wardrobe with different patterns.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
navy with some sort of nailhead coloring.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy Blazer, but please do not wear them with khaki slacks. Gray work best. Brooks Brothers has a couple of options around your price range.

Blamm

Reaction score
Navy. Wool. I don't like brass buttons - but that's a matter of taste and simple to change out

Good luck with internship!

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd eschew the navy blazer too but the other options unless fancy are going to look even more "old man." Make sure the navy blazer has a slim fit and definitely get the horrible brass buttons replaced. I really like black blazers, Gucci and co. have some neat ones.

Wiker

Reaction score
Navy blazer sounds most versatile for a first blazer/sc.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Navy Blazer, but please do not wear them with khaki slacks. Gray work best.

Brooks Brothers has a couple of options around your price range.

Could not agree more. Also it is very hard to match shoes nicely with that kind of Khaki/Navy set up.

Originally Posted by Wiker
Navy blazer sounds most versatile for a first blazer/sc.

It is a toss up between a Grey or Navy Blazer for versatility. Both should be wardrobe staples. I do have a dislike of Navy suits though, I guess I must be eccentric. I like Navy sportcoats though.

Originally Posted by Blamm
Navy. Wool. I don't like brass buttons - but that's a matter of taste and simple to change out

+1. I once had a friend who rather than brass buttons, had 18K gold buttons. I joked with him not to walk around in places with known mugging incidents if he wants to keep his jacket.

Kraken

Reaction score
I got my navy blazer with silver buttons and I think it looks great. Might want to consider that as another possible replacement for gold. I felt it looked more young than gold/brass.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your buying it for business wear primarily. Therefore, you absolutely must buy the navy blazer before all else. It is a staple, and you will blend right in. You do not want to stick out for wearing the odd colored jacket at the office. Unless its an artistic office...

One thing to make sure to absolutely not do is to wear a blazer with metal buttons with navy pants and try to pull it off as a suit. I've seen too many students do that and it looks bad. At least replace the buttons with something else if you're going to attempt it.

Anyway, silver, brass, gold, I don't think people notice too much.

Medium gray would be too matchy to wear with grey pants. Buy this second. And consider different shades of grey before you commit, and which pants you have.

Brooks Brothers is a good start and of known quality. You can be adventurous and buy a Daniele blazer from the Wizard of Aahs on ebay. Another option is to wait for 75% off JAB.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It seems like Navy Blazer is the obvious choice with Brooks Brothers getting a few recommendations. This BB Fitzgerald Blazer has gotten some good reviews on the thread here. I do like the pewter buttons, slim cut, and that it is apparently fully-canvassed and Made by Southwick. It seems like a waste buying it at full retail though. I suppose there aren't any sales coming up in the next two weeks? edit: Just got the BB corporate card from Borders Rewards! That's an easy 15% off.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy
navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy navy

need i say more?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads