1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Need Help Picking Bow Tie for Black Ermenegildo Zegna Satin Peak Lapel Tuxedo

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by igimel, Feb 13, 2012.

1. igimel

igimel Active Member

Hello Gents,

I need some advice in picking a Bow Tie for my new tuxedo. The tuxedo is a black, one-button, non-vented Ermenegildo Zegna with satin peak lapels. Please keep in mind that I am planning to use a white wing-tipped collar tuxedo shirt. The tuxedo will mostly be worn at black tie events, but also potentially weddings (understandable if those require different bow ties).

I think I have narrowed it down to the following, but am also open to other suggestions:

Hermes Chain Mail Silk
    [​IMG]

Lanvin Grenadine Silk
    [​IMG]

Turnbull & Asser Silk
    [​IMG]

Lanvin Silk Dots Satin
    [​IMG]

Lanvin Alber
    [​IMG]

Thank you very much in advance.

Igor

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

For a black tie event, you can pick any tie you want, as long as it's a solid black bow tie. Given that, between the two solid black ones, I like the T&A more.

3. jhva3

jhva3 Senior member

4. igimel

igimel Active Member

Is this a MUST? Thinking I've seen more and more non-black bow ties...not trying to challenge - really is a question.

Thanks.

5. landshark

landshark Senior member

It is a must. It's called "Black-tie."

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  6. igimel

igimel Active Member

Thanks - point taken. What kind of events would people wear non-black bow ties?

7. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Based on the answer I got from Will (A Suitable Wardrobe): Go with the Lanvin Alber, which appears to be black satin as opposed to the T&A, which looks like midnight blue satin. This will harmonise well with your black satin lapels.

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Any event that's not black tie.

9. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+2

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:eh:

11. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

where to buy the last 2 lanvins?

12. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

For the love of God do not get a pre-tied bow tie. Get a real tie, practice a few times and you will be fine. Pre-ties are for young children.

13. recondite

recondite Senior member

+1

This is easy. Match your lapels in color in texture. In this case, buy one in black satin. Then choose your shape; e.g., thistle, batwing, diamond, western, whatever.

Next: match the size of the bow to your face, and you will be the most stylish man present.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  14. igimel

igimel Active Member

+1...definitely not going for a pre-tie. If I did that I'd have to trade in my ties for clip-ons.

15. igimel

igimel Active Member

Thank you! This is incredibly helpful...going with black satin in a medium size...now just need to figure out which shape I like best.

16. recondite

recondite Senior member

Glad I could help.

With what we now call formal wear, less is more. So a boutinnere or pocket square but not both.

For example, if you could find a nice Marcella bid shirt with a turn down collar and stay away from a pleated bib and/or the winged collar, you would look that much better. Even a fly front shirt which requires no studs often works better for most people than pleats, since the style of pleats tend to go in and out of fashion on almost an annual basis.

Also, you should match your cummerbund [pleats up; a.k.a. 'the crumb catcher"] to your tie and lapels, unless you are going for a waistcoat. If you can find a real live black tie waistcoat either V or U front, I seriously doubt anyone will be better dressed than you. You can either match the material for the entire waistcoat or just it's lapels to the lapels on your jacket.

Below is the look I am suggesting. He is wearing a double breasted U-front waistcoat with no lapels or hopefully some matching the ones on his jacket. You can see it is tailored from the same material as his dinner jacket and he went for fabric covered buttons instead of waistcoat studs,Brad's faux pas here is his satin bow tie against gross grain lapels, not to mention the tie should have been a bit larger, as well to balance his face. Otherwise, it is one of the better looks he has ever sported while wearing a dinner jacket. Note also his turn down collar which is the way to look best if you are not going to wear a white or cream pique waistcoat.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  17. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

Maybe Turnbull & Asser Silk or Lanvin Alber