• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help picking a truck/SUV

Deuce

Reaction score
I currently have a 2004 Acura TL that I bought because I was living in Florida during the winter but was driving back and forth between FL and Colorado a few times a year. I just needed something reliable and good for long distance drives. Well, now I am living in Colorado permanently so I want something that can handle the winters plus be used to go up to the mountains for camping, skiing and light off roading.

I am only looking to spend about 15-20k. Right now I am leaning towards a 2004 Grand Cherokee because that is the last year they came with the solid front axle (a plus for off roading) and seems to be the most reliable of the solid axle Grands. I used to have a lifted 98 Grand Cherokee and loved it but wasn't practical for the cross country driving I was doing. I was also thinking about a 4runner or Tacoma but I feel like the interiors are so cheap feeling, plus they seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the GCs.

I plan on keeping this next truck as a dd until I can afford a second vehicle at which point I will designate this truck as a dedicated mountain/off roading vehicle. Sorry this is so long, but any other ideas on what I should look at?

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd stay away from the Grand Cherokee (used to sell those). For $15-$20K I'd look at a 2003-2005 Range Rover depending on how good you are/could be with a wrench. Always built on a truck frame and solid axles.

alexei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I'd stay away from the Grand Cherokee (used to sell those). For $15-$20K I'd look at a 2003-2005 Range Rover depending on how good you are/could be with a wrench. Always built on a truck frame and solid axles.

If you don't mind high mileage. Scanning eBay, it's hard to find one with <85,000 miles for under $20,000.

jagmqt

Reaction score
I'd stay away from Range Rovers and Land Rovers unless you like expensive repairs.

I just bought a 2005 Trailblazer for $12K. It's not the greatest, but it's got the power I need, is cheap to repair, and is nice to drive. Other than that, when I was shopping, I liked Toyotas and Nissans...they run forever and are extremely durable.

jag

ms244

Reaction score
For Christs sake, don't buy a Subaru.

Superfluous Man

Reaction score
I'd buy an '05+ Tacoma and I'm not sure I'd consider anything else. They are excellent daily drivers and are great off road as well.

ms244

Reaction score
Everyone in this state drives a god foresaken subaru. Be different.

I have an F350 on the side, other then the gas milage its not too bad. Parking is a problem but its
8foot bed and crew cab (solid axles up front don't turn too tight either).

Based on that I would recommend a full size 3/4 ton truck, gas milage isn't much worse then any of the SUVS. You might be able to swing a diesel in your price range though check to see if you need emissions in your region.

They have to be done at a private shop and are tougher (I'm told) then regular car emissions.

Nice roomy, goes great over the unplowed roads and you can carry a lot of stuff, like say a snowmobile in the back.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alexei
If you don't mind high mileage. Scanning eBay, it's hard to find one with <85,000 miles for under $20,000.

Gotta find one that was a demo or leased. Also, mileage is subjective. Definitely get some sort of warranty.

I would have suggested something like an old school Land Cruiser or 4Runner but coming out of a TL he may not like the ruggedness of those. Then again, I'd buy a beater truck & still try for some lux coupe/sedan.

limester816

Reaction score
If you live in Colorado, and aren't gonna buy a Subaru-- well that only leaves the Tacoma/4Runner.

Seriously, remove every Subaru and Tacoma from Colorado and you wouldn't have many vehicles left.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nissan Xterra always gets rave reviews from car magazines and consumer reports -- for its good looks, good price, and fantastic off-road ability. It's probably about the same price as the GC but way more reliable

ms244

Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816
If you live in Colorado, and aren't gonna buy a Subaru-- well that only leaves the Tacoma/4Runner.

Seriously, remove every Subaru and Tacoma from Colorado and you wouldn't have many vehicles left.

I can wish, no?

Its not so much that they are bad cars, its just that they seem awfully smug and ubiquitous.

rzarector36

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
I can wish, no?

Its not so much that they are bad cars, its just that they seem awfully smug and ubiquitous.

I've been driving a 2000 Tundra for about 5 years and it's been great. Has more than 200,000 miles too.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I'd stay away from the Grand Cherokee (used to sell those).

Agreed. Grand Cherokees are pretty much crap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics