• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help on selling car with family member's name on title in VA

stevenvg

Reaction score
So here's the story.

A couple of months ago I moved to VA from MI cause i was offered a job in DC. Now I realize that my job contract is not going to be extended beyond this month, hence I'm flying back to Asia on the 30th of June. I was just visiting dealers wanting to sell the car when I realize that the title is actually under my mum's name (yeah, stupid to realize it only now).

The thing is, she doesn't even live in the States and bought it for me when I first went to MI to do my bachelor's. I need to urgently sell it by the end of the month (in a couple of days) so that I won't have to change my flight ticket and have to pay the ticket fees.

Is there a way to circumvent having to go through the hassle of going to the dmv and transferring the title to me (without my mum present)? I'm not sure how the law works here so hoping someone from around here can hep.

Thanks.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevenvg
So here's the story.

A couple of months ago I moved to VA from MI cause i was offered a job in DC. Now I realize that my job contract is not going to be extended beyond this month, hence I'm flying back to Asia on the 30th of June. I was just visiting dealers wanting to sell the car when I realize that the title is actually under my mum's name (yeah, stupid to realize it only now).

The thing is, she doesn't even live in the States and bought it for me when I first went to MI to do my bachelor's. I need to urgently sell it by the end of the month (in a couple of days) so that I won't have to change my flight ticket and have to pay the ticket fees.

Is there a way to circumvent having to go through the hassle of going to the dmv and transferring the title to me (without my mum present)? I'm not sure how the law works here so hoping someone from around here can hep.

Thanks.

I recall from when I lived in Virginia that it was rather rigid about these matters. Maybe things have changed. Good luck!

TylerDurden

Reaction score
I think they will need her signature on it and a notary to sign it. So if you can get her signature...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have a few options, perhaps easiest would be to have her sign a limited power of attorney to allow you to sell it on her behalf. Your best bet is to actually go to a DMV location and ask them. Of course, some of these places are less helpful than a bag of used adult undergarments, so check more than one place.

stevenvg

Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys.. turns out a friend of mine is interested in purchasing my car. i will probably sell the car to him instead by sending the title to my mum to get her to sign it and then send it back to me.

i've heard all the bad stuff about the dmv here so hopefully the title transfer will go smoothly. anyone knows how long it will take approximately for everything to be processed for my friend to get his new plates and registration?

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevenvg
thanks for all the info guys.. turns out a friend of mine is interested in purchasing my car. i will probably sell the car to him instead by sending the title to my mum to get her to sign it and then send it back to me.

i've heard all the bad stuff about the dmv here so hopefully the title transfer will go smoothly. anyone knows how long it will take approximately for everything to be processed for my friend to get his new plates and registration?

I think you just need it signed over to you, then you get a new title from the DMV. IIRC in VA they print titles on the spot.

stevenvg

Reaction score
change of plans cause my friend backed out of the deal. now i guess i have to sell it at a ****** price to a dealer. the title already has my mum's signature on it (she signed it and told me to sell it before she left). i tried calling carmax but they said that they would require my mum to be present to sign paperwork and i'm guessing this is what most dealers are going to tell me if they know the title's not under my name.

i've found a dealer in Arlington who said that he's willing to buy it provided that i give him a copy of her license and a copy of my passport. he seems to be trying to do me a favor (at least that's what he's trying to portray himself as doing) but i can't help having a nagging worry about the deal as he seems like a fishy character (though the same can be said for most car dealers)..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads