• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need help on a tie

awefa

Reaction score
black button down shirt, khaki pants, black shoes....now what kind of a tie should i wear????

awefa

Reaction score
its semi formal...were suppose to wear ties

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ going by that, you shouldn't wear khakis or a black shirt either.

awefa

Reaction score
ok im asking for help because ive gotten some suggestions on colors for this combo...trying to see what everyone else thinks...im wearing what i stated in the question, if your not gonna help, dont throw your two cents in

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First elaborate on what sort of event it is.
And black shirts are always better off worn without a tie.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No tie will work.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

black button down shirt, khaki pants, black shoes....now what kind of a tie should i wear????

its semi formal...were suppose to wear ties

Is this for high school?
Very well, if you must wear a tie try one in Plumb (a dark purple, much darker than Barney) and no loud patterns.Then post photos of your outfit and the shoes.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this for high school?
Very well, if you must wear a tie try one in Plumb (a dark purple, much darker than Barney) and no loud patterns.Then post photos of your outfit and the shoes.
Welcome to Styleforum.

I think it's for a job interview.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think a medium to dark grey tie would work as well. Maybe a silk/cashmere blend?

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First elaborate on what sort of event it is.
And black shirts are always better off worn without a tie.

+1

I never wear black shirts, the only time I see this as appropriate is at a funeral or going to for drinks (with jeans only).

Khakis can be paired with any other colored shirt + a navy sportscoat...

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, you can get a cheap sport coat at Mens Wearhouse. I mean $100-$200 bucks. A sport coat will set you apart, in a good way. And a well fitted sport coat will make you look better, balancing the torso and legs, slimming an imperfect figure or emphasizing a fit build. My colleagues rarely wear a jacket except for high profile meetings etc. I wear a jacket whenever I wear a dress shirt or casual button front (with a pocket square of course). As often as I do that, I receive numerous compliments. I take it to mean I'm doing something right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics