• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Need help matching ties to these shirts (pics)

soupcxan

Reaction score
My workplace is pretty conservative (suit & tie everyday) but I was tired of only wearing solid white and blue shirts, so I ordered some custom shirts in slightly more lively (but still pretty conservative patterns). The shirts are great for casual wear but I have had a tough time finding ties that match when I want to wear them into the office

The first shirt is white with an alternating blue and green windopane pattern, the second is a blue and yellow glenplaid. Can anyone suggest ties that go with these for a conservative look? Or do I just need to save these shirts for the weekend? Thanks.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to head to a bunker for a little while and cover my ears as all of styleforum recommends KNIT TIES in a chorus so loud it feels like an explosion.

EnglishGent

Reaction score
You should wear knit ties with them

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to stay "conservative" if you must might be to choose solid ties and rep ties in the color of the stripes. For example, the first shirt with a typical Brooks Brothers green and blue rep tie. Or a single-color two-ton rep tie as another easy example.

I happen to like patterns and even busy patterns against plaids but it all depends on what you like.

You could easily wear primarily gold or green ties against either. Pink, lavender and purple too.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Easiest way to stay "conservative" if you must might be to choose solid ties and rep ties in the color of the stripes. For example, the first shirt with a typical Brooks Brothers green and blue rep tie. Or a single-color two-ton rep tie as another easy example.

I happen to like patterns and even busy patterns against plaids but it all depends on what you like.

You could easily wear primarily gold or green ties against either. Pink, lavender and purple too.

That last part would be influenced by personal coloring. Without pictures (of him), the advice is, Try it and trust your eye. But start with more conservative ties. Having a change of style noticed at work is risky.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A tie with dark blue base is always a safe bet.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40