• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help identifying tie knots

carlosc

Reaction score
Hello,

I started a project archiving President Obama's choice in neckwear since the inaguration, and was wondering if some experts here could help identifying the knots and collars. I ask because although the knot seems the same, the dimple changes location. So any help in identification would be appreciated. Feel free to comment here or there and I will certainly give credit!

http://obamastie.blogspot.com/

Now I myself use a double windsor and rarely deviate except for when the cloth turns the knot the size of my fist. Since I have a favorite, I also wonder if everyone else does too, meaning would you ever think to yourself to change it up often? Would you wear a four in hand on Monday then half windsor on Tuesday, then windsor on Wednesday? What do you think? Thanks!

Best,

-c

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of Obama's knots that I have seen are FIH or an uninspired looking half-windsor. The reason for the dimple movement in many cases is probably because he didn't take care to centre it. While some people, myself included, like the off centre dimple, you can tell when this is done purposly for style or accidentially becasue of a poorly crafted knot.

Also, if you are going to be talking about ties knots, then you should get the terminology right too. There is no such thing as a double windsor. A half windsor is when you only wrap it on one side, a Windsor is when you wrap it on both sides. A double windsor, theoretically, would be TWO wraps on each side.

carlosc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Most of Obama's knots that I have seen are FIH or an uninspired looking half-windsor. The reason for the dimple movement in many cases is probably because he didn't take care to centre it. While some people, myself included, like the off centre dimple, you can tell when this is done purposly for style or accidentially becasue of a poorly crafted knot.

Also, if you are going to be talking about ties knots, then you should get the terminology right too. There is no such thing as a double windsor. A half windsor is when you only wrap it on one side, a Windsor is when you wrap it on both sides. A double windsor, theoretically, would be TWO wraps on each side.

Thanks for the tips didnt know that about the double windsor. So your pretty positive about the FIH?

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most appear to be asymmetrical so I think FIH is a pretty safe bet. Most are poorly shaped FIHs, I really don't think they are anything to write home about, but they are FIH none the less. I doubt he is using any fancy little-known asymmetrical knotting techniques.

awxg

Reaction score
From that link, what the heck is a "single Windsor". Does that mean half-Windsor or a Windsor?

Also, LVoer is correct that there is no such thing as a double Windsor.

carlosc

Reaction score
Thank you I will change all of the knots to four in hand. Appreciate the help.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying they are all FIH, I'm just saying that's what he generally uses.

DDA007

Reaction score
I vary my knots throughout the week. I learned to tie a Windsor from my dad as that is all he has ever tied. I figured it was the only knot that ever looked good because it was symmetrical.

I then learned to appreciate the FIH and the Pratt knot. My knot changes with the collar type I'm wearing. If it's a spread or wide collar then it's a Windsor. Pretty much anything else and I vary between Pratt and FIH.

Lately I've been on a FIH kick though. I never appreciated it before because just about EVERY guy I've ever seen tie it does so terribly and sloppy.

carlosc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DDA007
I vary my knots throughout the week. I learned to tie a Windsor from my dad as that is all he has ever tied. I figured it was the only knot that ever looked good because it was symmetrical.

I then learned to appreciate the FIH and the Pratt knot. My knot changes with the collar type I'm wearing. If it's a spread or wide collar then it's a Windsor. Pretty much anything else and I vary between Pratt and FIH.

Lately I've been on a FIH kick though. I never appreciated it before because just about EVERY guy I've ever seen tie it does so terribly and sloppy.

So can you tell the difference of the asymmetrical knots (FIH, 1/2 Windsor) just by looking? Is the difference in the guts, or the front wrap? Does the location of the dimple give any clues, or can you just manipulate them wherever you want?

Thx

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlosc
So can you tell the difference of the asymmetrical knots (FIH, 1/2 Windsor) just by looking? Is the difference in the guts, or the front wrap? Does the location of the dimple give any clues, or can you just manipulate them wherever you want?

Thx

You can't really tell what the exact knot of a tie is by simply looking at it. You can narrow down your guess considerably by determining if the knot symmetrical or not. From there, you can gauge the size of the knot and just pick the most commonly used knot for that size/shape.

For example: If a knot looks asymmetrical and fairly small, a good guess would be a FIH or a Victoria. If the knot is symmetric and small, a good guess would be a half Windsor or a Pratt (if the narrow end of the tie is facing the other way).

Of course this isn't taking into consideration the thickness of a tie and other variables. A small Oriental knot would look like a half Windsor on a Stefano Ricci tie.

The only knot that can be identified 100% of the time is a Christensen/cross knot.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Okay, this is taking Obama-mania just a bit too far! Sorry, Carlos, but I'm getting sick of the demagoguery surrounding Obama. I think your blog is just marsupialed and more than a wee bit creepy, more like obsessive-compulsive. I'm not purposely trying to offend you but do you honestly have nothing better to do with your existence in this world than chronicle the man's choices of neckwear? Our commander-in-chief is not even that sharp of a dresser. I've yet to see him pull off anything even remotely stylish with his wardrobe. But have we had a democratic president since Kennedy who could dress well?

carlosc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
Okay, this is taking Obama-mania just a bit too far! Sorry, Carlos, but I'm getting sick of the demagoguery surrounding Obama. I think your blog is just marsupialed and more than a wee bit creepy, more like obsessive-compulsive. I'm not purposely trying to offend you but do you honestly have nothing better to do with your existence in this world than chronicle the man's choices of neckwear? Our commander-in-chief is not even that sharp of a dresser. I've yet to see him pull off anything even remotely stylish with his wardrobe. But have we had a democratic president since Kennedy who could dress well?

Take it easy Felix,

Although you may think this is an example of outright nutridery, the blog really takes none of my time. I do rights and clearances for network tv and thought about doing this because I have access to all the image libraries. It takes all of about 5 seconds a day to upload a photo. I look at it as an archival project because I also note what the main news source of his appearance is.

You should be happy that people are interested in politics in any way shape or form, I believe it makes America and the world a better place as opposed to you know, just talking about clothes, watches, shoes and where to buy them all day, right?

anyway thanks for your opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics