• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help for prom night and fast!!

chriss

Reaction score
Hey guys i'm 17 years old and next month we're having our prom night.
I've already went to a tailor and my three piece suit is on the making
smile.gif

I went for a dark gray with a dark blue pinstriped vest worn with a
white shirt, wasn't sure about the vest colour but anyways.
I need help concerning the shoe's.
I was wondering if it's OK to wear this http://www.tupianku.com/bin/1545/GUCCI/15.jpg gucci shoes wich are sneaker-like or just go for a more dressy piece.
I was also wondering what kind of belt should i wear. Should i go for a plain
simple or a more flashy designer belt like this? http://i19.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/97/f4/a6b9_1.JPG
And my last question is about shopping this items from ebay how can i be 100% sure that the items i'm going to buy are original.
Any other comments are welcome.
Looking forward for your answers.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chriss
Any other comments are welcome.
Looking forward for your answers.

Are you sure about that?

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Dear Chriss:

I have only two pieces of advice for you:

1) Ebay is full of fakes. You take the chance when you buy from there. Then again, if you're getting a bespoke suit at 17 and considering gucci sneakers for prom, I guess throwing away money isn't a big concern to you.

2) Wear a tux, not a costume. Translation: that belt is cheap, thinking about those sneakers kills puppies, and try not to look like a damn clown.

Good luck with prom!

Sincerely,
Ryan

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
tux over suit
if suit, vest should match jacket and pants
shoes suck
belt is meh

chriss

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the comments people
smile.gif

Any advises for the shoes and belt??
What should i wear?

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you have nothing to say moooove along

But I thought you said any comments were welcome.

However, you're right that I was being a bit of a wiseass, so here are my comments (all IMHO, so take then for what they're worth):

1. Why did you have a suit tailored and how much are you paying? You're only 17, and most likely are still growing. This wasn't necessarily the best use of money. Do you plan to use the suit again in the future?

2. Why did you decide on a mismatched suit and vest? Given what you've described, I can't see this combination working. Why didn't you go with a basic black tuxedo with matching vest or even a cummerbund? If you're set on the suit, and it seems you are, I would wear it without the vest. Either that, or get the vest changed to match the suit if there's time. The mid-nineties saw a small revival of 3 piece suits, and the twist was a mismatched vest (the suits in question were mostly earth tones, if memory serves). It was a terrible look.

3. The shoes you posted are completely inappropriate for a formal or, frankly, any other occasion. They may be the ugliest sneaker/shoe hybrids I've ever seen, and that's saying something. Given the outfit you've described, get yourself a pair of black balmorals.

4. Nix the belt and go with something more classic. A plain black dress belt (to match the aforesaid balmorals) would be fine. Gold or silver buckle.

chriss

Reaction score
So if i have the time to change the vest's color what color would you suggest
for a mismatch if possible?

lawyerdad

Reaction score
So if i have the time to change the vest's color what color would you suggest
for a mismatch if possible?

It should be cut from the same material as the rest of the suit.

Shoes should be brown or black leather lace-ups, and the belt should match.

johnnyblazini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
for your prom even a nice suit will can suffice other than a tux.

also for shoes. dont go with those sneakers. it will just be a fleeting way to make yourself stand out.

rather, go with more discrete but very beautiful and stylish and mature footwear like one of these:

IMGP1680.jpg

Loafers? To prom?
plain.gif

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyblazini
Loafers? To prom?
plain.gif

Well, it would be an improvement on the current default, although not my choice either.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking objectively, those sneakers make you look like you are wearing your Mom's purse, sorry. The belt is flashy for all the wrong reasons for wearing with a suit.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 16 and if you want to look good and not like a pimp or a chav or an idiot or someone with such disdain for looking appropriate change your train of thought.

But, if you do want to look like that you're in the wrong place.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads