• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help finding the perfect dress shirt

ggmerino

Reaction score
Please help:

Looking for a dress shirt that fits (having them hand made is putting me in the poorhouse). 18" neck, "sport cut" (or "slim fit"), 35-36" sleeve, standard collar, 100% cotton, cuffs of any style. Believe it or not, I have searched far and wide and cannot find a half-decent shirt (e.g., decent cloth, good stitching, etc..) fullfiling the above requirements.

I will be forever indebted for a referal to a store in NYC area or a website.

Desperate,

G

Carey

Reaction score
Somewhat mundane but acceptable is Nordstrom black label, white egyptian cotton. They are about as slim cut as you can get for a $110.00 shirt. Quality is as good as most. They also have a new slim-cut line, but I have yet to see anything I really like.

If you want color selection and finer cloth in a RTW shirt, then you have to spend as much as you would for a MTM, so MTM makes sense for selection, fit, and quality.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been very happy with the Hugo Boss Enzox shirts, available at Macy's or Bloomingdales (who has a better selection, usually). They are $85 all the way up to $185, fit very slim, and feel pretty nice. They also make an extra long version, which has a 36/37 arm. You could also try ctshirts.com, if you can find that discount coupon.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
I have been very happy with the Hugo Boss Enzox shirts, available at Macy's or Bloomingdales (who has a better selection, usually). They are $85 all the way up to $185, fit very slim, and feel pretty nice. They also make an extra long version, which has a 36/37 arm. You could also try ctshirts.com, if you can find that discount coupon.

+1 on the Hugo Boss. Very nice fit for RTW. Only ever seen them at Men's Macy's stores or Nordstrom. The selection at Nordstrom was pretty bad though. Still have yet to hit up the new Bloomingdales.

JordanB

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will put you in the "poor house," but for the same prices that have been suggested, you can get custom shirts made at CEGO. The owner regularly posts on this forum as Shirtmaven. He's a great guy and has a great selection of fabrics and his prices range from about $100-$150. Not bad for something that will fit you perfectly.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Italian shirts (truzzi, borrelli, esp. barba) on ebay etc?

DShareef

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ggmerino
Please help:

Looking for a dress shirt that fits (having them hand made is putting me in the poorhouse). 18" neck, "sport cut" (or "slim fit"), 35-36" sleeve, standard collar, 100% cotton, cuffs of any style. Believe it or not, I have searched far and wide and cannot find a half-decent shirt (e.g., decent cloth, good stitching, etc..) fullfiling the above requirements.

I will be forever indebted for a referal to a store in NYC area or a website.

Desperate,

G

I have the same dimmensions (18"x36") and likely the same problem. Standard 18" 36"s look like tents on me. I have found, much to my surprise, that Paul Frederick's 17.5" x 36" slim fit shirts work for me. The quality is decent (although some might disagree) and the price is well below that of Boss or CEGO.

I hope that helps,

D

Wanderer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JordanB
I'm not sure if this will put you in the "poor house," but for the same prices that have been suggested, you can get custom shirts made at CEGO. The owner regularly posts on this forum as Shirtmaven. He's a great guy and has a great selection of fabrics and his prices range from about $100-$150. Not bad for something that will fit you perfectly.

echoed here

Mark_Y

Reaction score
If you want the "perfect" dress shirt, you should probably give Mr. Kabbaz a call.

Chase80

Reaction score
if you're looking for cost efficiency, there's always Isaac Mizrahi at Target

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads