• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help finding suit pics - exposed stitching in shoulders

jimsabo21p

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is my 1st post ... I hope you can help me
smile.gif

Has anyone else seen exposed stitching on suit jackets? For example, a navy blue suit with white exposed stitches on the shoulders, pockets and cuffs.

I was trying to explain this to my tailor today, and he'd never seen it - so I told him I'd go online and find pictures. I've been searching google images all afternoon and can't find anything.

Does anyone know a brand, or have a link where I can find pictures of this?

Thanks!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is basting. You take it out before you wear it.

jimsabo21p

Reaction score
No, it's not a basting ...

Vince (from HBO Entourage) was wearing the same look in the last episode (Oct 19th 2008).

Degendorff

Reaction score
This is a more subtle way to show that one is wearing a quality product than leaving the label on the sleeve cuff, isn't it?

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimsabo21p
No, it's not a basting ...

Vince (from HBO Entourage) was wearing the same look in the last episode (Oct 19th 2008).

This is the 'look' he was wearing on that episode:

2r3l0n9.jpg

11gluue.jpg

x26xpe.jpg

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its a more casual jacket i'd assume. And E's sleeves are too long.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Degendorff
This is a more subtle way to show that one is wearing a quality product than leaving the label on the sleeve cuff, isn't it?

Sounds like a product where the maker did not have the right color thread.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I still think you could be thinking of basting. At 7:23 minutes into the show, Vince trys on a jacket with white stiching on the shoulder. You have to remeber that this is a fitting for a photo shoot, so the jacket still has the basting on it as it is right off the rack.

I can't figure out how to post a screen image but the white stiching is without a doubt Basting. If you want that look - you could just buy a jacket with basting and not remove it. I think it would look dumb, but if it turns your crank...

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if the white stitches are on a on the rack suit then it is basting.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I still think you could be thinking of basting. At 7:23 minutes into the show, Vince trys on a jacket with white stiching on the shoulder. You have to remeber that this is fitting for a photo shoot, so the jacket still has the basting on it as it is right off the rack.

Vidpwned

jmac35

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd renew this thread. I bought a dark Boss blazer and it has white stitching (basting?) on top of shoulders. I asked the salesman about it and whether to remove it. He told me that some suit jackets have this and it is meant to be removed but in this case it is there for style.

He pointed out that in suit jackets the stitches can be pulled out with your fingers and are very loosely stitched. He then showed me that the stitches in mine are right into the jacket.

Sounded good to me, but I want to make sure I'm not supposed to remove them.

I found the same jacket in a different color on the web and here is a pic that sort of shows what I'm talking about. The contrast in the stitches is even more pronounced in mine because the jacket is dark.

What do you guys think?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads