• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help finding affordable clothes

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Hey guys! Currently I'm a jeans and t shirt kinda guy but I'm looking to slowly transition into a more classy and grown up look. I'm going to get some casual dress shoes, some button downs, some plain polos, and a belt to start. I'm a student and I need help finding [very] affordable options.

Casual dress shoes I'm considering:
http://www.stevemadden.com/Item.aspx...28_421-145_426
and
http://www.zappos.com/steve-madden-j...-black-leather

Is Steve Madden a decent brand? If not, please suggest similar styles for under $100.

Also, where can I get some affordable button downs/polos and a belt?

Thanks in advance.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please consider not considering those shoes. They are neither classy nor grown up.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
Please consider not considering those shoes. They are neither classy nor grown up.

I will consider it, but recommendations might be more useful

Made in California

Reaction score
^ I would suggest to please consider considering post #2 regarding considering to not long consider the previous items in post #1 on the condition the conditions and stipulations set forth (classic, grown-up, an FU image) are and indeed remain to be in fact accurate.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
^ I would suggest to please consider considering post #2 regarding considering to not long consider the previous items in post #1 on the condition the conditions and stipulations set forth (classic, grown-up, an FU image) are and indeed remain to be in fact accurate.

Thank you for your thoughtful contribution.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
spam[1].gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
affordable clothes? boy have you come to the wrong place...

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Try some Clark's desert boots or something. Goes OK with khakis and jeans. Quality is good for the price.

Nautilus

Reaction score
I would recommend against those slip ons. Get yourself a pair of black oxfords to start. Avoid anything with a toe that is either squared off or super pointy. You want some nice tapering in the toe, but not too much. If oxfords are too formal for your needs, maybe you would like boat shoes better.

For shopping on a budget, you can sometimes find good brands at thrift stores, but you need to be willing to put in the time and you really need to know your brands and fit and be able to discern little details in order to avoid making mistakes.

Instead, I recommend shopping at department stores like Kohl's and Macy's. The clothes will not be top quality, nor will they look as good or last as long as the high end designer stuff, but at this point you are still finding your style and it is better to make inexpensive mistakes rather than expensive mistakes.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
Try some Clark's desert boots or something. Goes OK with khakis and jeans. Quality is good for the price.

this

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads