• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help finding a budget slim cut suit

dannyck

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm a graduate student nearing med school interviews and I need to buy a suit. I have a low budget (under $400) and have tried on a slim cut 2 button navy Calvin Klein suit at Macy's, but found the cut still a little loose. I am 5'9 and 150 lbs, and generally wear a size 38; should I be trying on 36s? The first suit I tried on may be affecting my decisions as it fit absolutely perfect off the rack but was $1200 (it was a RL black label suit, size 38R and 31 pants). Do any cheaper brands have a similar cut to the black label suits (low cut 2 button jackets)? Any help with any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dannyck

Reaction score
Also, if I get the navy suit, what color shirt and tie should I wear with it? White and red tie? Blue and black tie?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This is like trying to help that guy who just got off a desert island decide what to eat first...

Okay, okay. Really? you need to do alittle more searching and reading. This question is just way too broad. Read around for some ideas on brands and cuts and sources and what a propor fit looks like, and then go fit some stuff on. buy, take pics, upload here for feedback. lather, rinse, and repeat

dannyck

Reaction score
Ok so I've done some searching and found that the cut I liked is the "anthony" by RL black label. Is there a cheaper alternative for a similar look that you would reccomend? haha i'm sorry about the barrage of questions earlier...I just want to look really sharp for these interviews and need all the help I can get. Thanks.

heli0x

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dannyck
Hey Guys, I'm a graduate student nearing med school interviews and I need to buy a suit. I have a low budget (under $400) and have tried on a slim cut 2 button navy Calvin Klein suit at Macy's, but found the cut still a little loose. I am 5'9 and 150 lbs, and generally wear a size 38; should I be trying on 36s? The first suit I tried on may be affecting my decisions as it fit absolutely perfect off the rack but was $1200 (it was a RL black label suit, size 38R and 31 pants). Do any cheaper brands have a similar cut to the black label suits (low cut 2 button jackets)? Any help with any of these questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
If you have time, you can try buying off B&S here, where really great stuff can be bought for the price youre aiming for (but RLBL 38R in a staple color for 400 is going to be pretty much impossible, but theres other stuff). If the CK you tried on fits in the shoulders and is only a bit loose at the waist, and is at your price, then you should just go ahead and get it taken in. As to what size you are, the only way to find out is to try on some 36s and see if youre comfortable. If you can still move your arms around and feel natural, then maybe 36 is size. I tried on a black label 38 a bit ago, which I found to be big by just a smidgen, and I wear a 36; so my understanding at least is that a 38 in RLBL is pretty much a 37. I think a good suit for med school interviews (slim, but also somewhat conservative) and actually just in general as well, for someone with your build and price range would a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald. I believe in solids theyre 800, but with thanksgiving around the corner, you should be able to get one for 450? Now I know this is slightly off topic, but are you interviewing this cycle or the next? cuz interviews started late aug... Also, where did you find a black label for 1200? from what i remember, by the time a good sale comes around all the solids in navy/charcoal were gone.

dannyck

Reaction score
thanks for the heads up! im interviewing this season, just got news late. the suit was actually 2000, but there was a private sale going on that dropped it to that price.

heli0x

Reaction score
ugh if only you asked yesterday.... if you were totally set on the black label, there was a sale this morning for RLBL over at gilt, i wanna say there were 6 styles, all at 700. but dont worry, another RLBL sale will roll around, in 2-3 months id say

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dannyck
Blue and black tie?

facepalm.gif

A.K.A.

Reaction score
dannyck,

Where do you live? Is there a Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th Ave, or Filene's Basement in your area?
Those places may have a more narrow cut suit in your price range. Try Hickey Freeman in a Madison model. What is most important is proper alterations to acheive a correct fit. Almost no suit is perfect off the rack, especially at $400.

Alternatives would be a major department store such as Macy's (try Tommy Hilfiger), or Banana Republic. Get a salesman to help you if you don't know your size. Bracket your approximate size, go a size down and/or up from normal. At 5' 9" tall, one would think you fall into the range of a "regular" size as opposed to a "short".

Determine what is your budget. Don't get lost in the search for a "Holy Grail". No one is going to care at your med school interview whether or not you look like a male model. You should be appropriately groomed so as not to detract from your accomplishments, nor to highlight your deficiencies.

Think white shirt. I prefer a point or spread collar for the slim cut suit, and a light blue tie (patterns or conservative stripe if you are thinking a dark/light mix).

Best of luck to you on getting in to Med School.

P.S. - most doctors I know are terrible dressers.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
I agree. You are on a budget, so don't spend too much time and effort on dressing for a med school interview. They know that you are a student and don't expect you to be wearing a high end suit. Just make sure it looks presentable. Get a conservative 2 button, notch lapel, navy suit and get it altered to slim the body if you have to. White shirt with conservative navy or burgundy tie should help you blend in with the other interviewees. Make sure you have decent shoes to go with the suit. Black laced shoes (balmorals or bluchers) are more appropriate for your purpose as compared to brown shoes or loafers/slip-ons.

Good luck and read up a little on health care reform before the interview.

Originally Posted by A.K.A.
dannyck,

Where do you live? Is there a Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th Ave, or Filene's Basement in your area?
Those places may have a more narrow cut suit in your price range. Try Hickey Freeman in a Madison model. What is most important is proper alterations to acheive a correct fit. Almost no suit is perfect off the rack, especially at $400.

Alternatives would be a major department store such as Macy's (try Tommy Hilfiger), or Banana Republic. Get a salesman to help you if you don't know your size. Bracket your approximate size, go a size down and/or up from normal. At 5' 9" tall, one would think you fall into the range of a "regular" size as opposed to a "short".

Determine what is your budget. Don't get lost in the search for a "Holy Grail". No one is going to care at your med school interview whether or not you look like a male model. You should be appropriately groomed so as not to detract from your accomplishments, nor to highlight your deficiencies.

Think white shirt. I prefer a point or spread collar for the slim cut suit, and a light blue tie (patterns or conservative stripe if you are thinking a dark/light mix).

Best of luck to you on getting in to Med School.

P.S. - most doctors I know are terrible dressers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics