• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help deciding between...

rbny

Reaction score
...Alden AF37 Norwegian "soft square toe" dark brown oxford in the plaza last: http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Catalog/fan/

OR

Alden Norwegian dark brown front blucher oxford in the barrie last: http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=24

These shoes will be worn with casual suits, flat-front trousers and jeans. Although I like the look of the plaza last, the six metal eyelets seem to make this shoe "too casual." Why would anyone want six eyelets, especially metal ones? Do you think that the barrie last with the split toe look too rounded? Please advise.

Thank you for your time.

familyman

Reaction score
The second shoe is certaily more formal but it's a bit of an odd shoe. Most of the shoe is a very classic dress shoe except for the split toe. It looks a bit odd to tell you the truth.
The first shoe on the other hand is certanly a casual shoe in comparison. I think it would be fine with very casual suits all the way to jeans. I'd be much more comfortable with it as a shoe for an odd jacket/trousers combo than with a suit to tell you the truth.

I think the firts shoe is a better shoe for the jeans-suits range. It'll be touch and go with suits but I'm assuming that you have a pair of cap toes or something to run to if an outfit goes wrong for some reason.

rbny

Reaction score
Thanks family man. But you said second shoe twice. Did you mean the AF37 which is the first shoe or the Alden 925 which is the second shoe?

Yes. I have black lace up blucher cap toes and balmoral plain toes for more dressier occassions.

familyman

Reaction score
Fixed it. I discussed the second shoe first, then the first shoe second and screwed up the labels. A bit confusing. I'm in favor of the AF37. Nice looking shoe.

rbny

Reaction score
Got it! Thanks again familyman. You don't think that 6 eyelets on the AF37 is a bit much do you?

Would appreciate other opinions as well.

Thank you.

rbny

Reaction score
Would like more suggestions, please.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rbny
Would like more suggestions, please.
You'll have better luck in the main forum.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
You'll have better luck in the main forum.
Agreed. Moved...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd vote for the AF37 too

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll go with the AF37. I have the Allen Edmonds version (Dellwood), although the AF37 has better quarters than Allen Edmonds' version. The half commando sole is very underrated, in my opinion. It makes for an extremely good travel shoe that can stretch for casual denim to friday casual to business dress.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Me 3. Or four, or whatever. AF37

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads