• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need help dating/pricing vintage Levi's 501s (pics)

Stalker McStalkerson

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the year and value of some vintage 501s. I've narrowed down the date between 1954-1960, but I have no clue how to determine the exact year. Also, I'm really perplexed by the yellow button fly. Does anybody know the history/reason behind the yellow colored buttons?

Additionally, how much do these jeans in this faded condition typically sell for, with and without the paint? Reason I ask is because I have two pairs of this pant, one with shinier rivets and paint free (but lacking the dramatic left leg twist).

frontprofile.jpg

backselvage.jpg

arcuateprofile.jpg

bigEtag.jpg

coinselvage.jpg

hiddenrivetprofile.jpg

yellowbutton.jpg

tagprofile.jpg

pocketrivets.jpg

hiddenrivet.jpg

Also for the sake of fading, here's a deadstock comparison (fading from the deadstock is limited to a soak).
deadstockselvagecomparison.jpg

comparedtodeadstock.jpg

And just for giggles, here's the other pant (one without the paint).
frontprofileselvage.jpg

backprofile-1.jpg

pocketrivetdetail.jpg

hiddenrivetdetail.jpg

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I'd say figuring out the exact year would be pretty tough, looks like you are right on with 1954-1960 http://www.vintagemotorcyclejackets.com/501xx-tags.htm If they are real they are worth a pretty penny, especially the deadstocks. There are a pair similar to yours on ebay that are fake selling for about $500 right now. You might want to try posting on superfuture.com there are a few real Levis experts on there who could give you some good info.

Stalker McStalkerson

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. If only the deadstocks were vintage! I'd be laughing my way to the bank instead of typing out this message. The deadstocks are actually LVC '47 repros that I used to compare the fading. I agree that there is a lot of misrepresentation on ebay. I'm absolutely amazed at some of the pricing. For instance, this one isn't from the 50s-60s, and completely real copper rivets. Yet it sold for 490?!?!!?! http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Big-E-Le...QQcmdZViewItem

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I was thinking about it, and I think that the coin pocket selvage would probably narrow the time frame down more than say the label. I think that selvage is pretty rare. I don't know about the yellow buttons, there was a site that had info about stuff like that but it has been taken down. They are nice jeans, I am very jealous.

Cake

Reaction score
Difficult to say this one. You have offset belt loops, so it's probably mid to late 1950s but then again offset belt loops are on some models up until 1966. You have a paper patch which puts the earliest date down to possibly May 1955, although it could be earlier. We don't really know the exact year the slogan "Every Garment Guaranteed" was removed, probably somewhere between 1960-1965. You have a selvage coin pocket, so likely to be older than 1965 as well.

So yes, you probably have something mid 50s to early sixties, but certainly not younger than 1965. A mid 60s model would likely have a shallow arcuate which you don't have.

Nice jeans, by the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads